Jan 2, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Games of the Day/Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: No. 16 Creighton at Illinois State (8 p.m.)
A great matchup to start off Missouri Valley Conference play, both a team matchup, as well as an individual matchup. Illinois State had a four-game winning streak snapped by Indiana State in the conference opener, while Creighton, the MVC favorite, comes in with a 12-1 record, a lone loss to Boise State. Doug McDermott, one of the leading candidates for Player of the Year, enters averaging 23.5 points to go along with seven boards. He’ll share the floor with a talented opponent. Jackie Carmichael 17.5 points a game, as well as over eight rebounds
No. 1 Duke at Davidson (7 p.m., ESPN2)
Not really a road game for the nation’s top team, as it will be played in Charlotte. The Blue Devils are cruising as of late, behind the National Player of the Year-type play by senior Mason Plumlee. Davidson entered the season with a lot of hype, however the Cougars already have five losses and it’s Jan. 3.
Rutgers at No. 7 Syracuse (7 p.m., ESPN3)
The classic Big East matchup of a future Big Ten school taking on a future ACC school. But seriously, big-game tonight, filled with emotions tonight at the Carrier Dome. Jim Boeheim looks to pass Bob Knight on the men’s Division I wins list, putting him behind only Coach K. This also marks the beginning of the end of a Big East charter member, with the Orange joining the ACC next year.
Five Things to Watch
1. Louisville looks for revenge against Providence. Last season the Cardinals suffered an embarrassing road loss to the Friars, 90-59.
2. Brothers go head-to-head. Jordan Bachynski and Arizona State host Dallin Bachynski and Utah. Jordan enters averaging 9.8 points per game, while Dallin chips in 7.6. per game.
3. Stevens to hit a milestone. Brad Stevens looks to notch his 150th victory against Penn tonight, in only his sixth season on the Butler sideline.
4. Catholic 7 start Big East action. St. John’s travels to play Villanova (8 p.m. ESPNU). Followed by DePaul hosting Seton Hall (9 p.m. ESPN3).
5. Another game to watch. La Salle travels down to Florida to take on Miami, in a matchup between two teams many believe could be on the bubble come March.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Blackwell is a member of the Class of 2016 but is already hearing from some notable programs.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Where have all the NYC Point Gods gone?
Jul 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Brunson is the father of a top 15 recruit and a potential hire for a program in the AAC.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Wichita State is coming off of a Final Four and an undefeated regular season. What happens if they can’t match that success again?
Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s the second time Hill has donated a million to the school
Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Mitchell played as well as anyone in the country this July
Jul 31, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
It’s not that strong, but it could have been much worse.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Walker has spent the last 13 seasons at his alma mater.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
The highly athletic wing is back on the market, but he’s yet to be cleared academically.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
The Bulldogs succeeded in keeping a talented in-state product home.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Mayo’s decision means that Marquette has to replace its top four scorers from last season.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Just over a month after landing a junior college guard, the Rebels have their second commit in the Class of 2015.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
UCLA is holding out hope that John Wooden Court can be salvaged, but if not they’ll have time to replace it.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Larrier is the best recruit that Shaka Smart has landed at VCU.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
After averaging 16.0 points per game as a freshman, the South Plains College guard is looking to become a better lead guard as a sophomore.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
It’s Dayton’s third commitment from the Class of 2015
Jul 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Oregon is now left with just nine scholarship players, only two of whom saw significant minutes last season.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Coggins will be heading back closer to his Southern California home
Jul 30, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Rising sophomore forward Duncan Robinson played his freshman year at Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts, but could be on the move for next season.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
UCLA reopened Pauley Pavilion in 2012 after $136 million worth of renovations.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)