Jan 2, 2013, 4:17 PM EST
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Games of the Day/Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: No. 16 Creighton at Illinois State (8 p.m.)
A great matchup to start off Missouri Valley Conference play, both a team matchup, as well as an individual matchup. Illinois State had a four-game winning streak snapped by Indiana State in the conference opener, while Creighton, the MVC favorite, comes in with a 12-1 record, a lone loss to Boise State. Doug McDermott, one of the leading candidates for Player of the Year, enters averaging 23.5 points to go along with seven boards. He’ll share the floor with a talented opponent. Jackie Carmichael 17.5 points a game, as well as over eight rebounds
No. 1 Duke at Davidson (7 p.m., ESPN2)
Not really a road game for the nation’s top team, as it will be played in Charlotte. The Blue Devils are cruising as of late, behind the National Player of the Year-type play by senior Mason Plumlee. Davidson entered the season with a lot of hype, however the Cougars already have five losses and it’s Jan. 3.
Rutgers at No. 7 Syracuse (7 p.m., ESPN3)
The classic Big East matchup of a future Big Ten school taking on a future ACC school. But seriously, big-game tonight, filled with emotions tonight at the Carrier Dome. Jim Boeheim looks to pass Bob Knight on the men’s Division I wins list, putting him behind only Coach K. This also marks the beginning of the end of a Big East charter member, with the Orange joining the ACC next year.
Five Things to Watch
1. Louisville looks for revenge against Providence. Last season the Cardinals suffered an embarrassing road loss to the Friars, 90-59.
2. Brothers go head-to-head. Jordan Bachynski and Arizona State host Dallin Bachynski and Utah. Jordan enters averaging 9.8 points per game, while Dallin chips in 7.6. per game.
3. Stevens to hit a milestone. Brad Stevens looks to notch his 150th victory against Penn tonight, in only his sixth season on the Butler sideline.
4. Catholic 7 start Big East action. St. John’s travels to play Villanova (8 p.m. ESPNU). Followed by DePaul hosting Seton Hall (9 p.m. ESPN3).
5. Another game to watch. La Salle travels down to Florida to take on Miami, in a matchup between two teams many believe could be on the bubble come March.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Here’s a rundown of Friday night’s action.
Alex Mitola’s buzzer-beater three gives Dartmouth a 58-55 overtime win over Northern Illinois (VIDEO)
Dec 19, 2014, 11:12 PM EST
Alex Mitola ended with 18 points for the Big Green.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:13 PM EST
Eastern Kentucky had 14 threes. Miami had 12 field goals.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
The senior forward is apparently playing for the Wisconsin Bearcats.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Villanova is off to another good start in the regular season, but heading into the New Year, the Wildcats will need to rack up the wins in postseason play.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
The SMU forward missed the first 10 games.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The Gators could be shorthanded once again in Saturday’s non-conference contest with Wake Forest.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
The Indiana sophomore was struck by a vehicle driven by a teammate back in November.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Antravious Simmons averaged 0.7 points and 0.7 rebounds as a redshirt freshman at VCU.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
The Wildcats are on the road to take on one of Conference USA’s best teams in UTEP, and both No. 18 Miami and No. 20 St. John’s are in action as well.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Jordan Gathers had yet to play in a game this season after undergoing hip surgery in June.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Kansas State is one of many programs looking to land Semi Ojeleye, but all of their scholarships are accounted for currently.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:04 PM EST
Jones’ dunk on five-star forward Cody Riley is one of the best you’ll see this year.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
When you talk Duke basketball in 2014-15, you start with Player of the Year candidate Jahlil Okafor, but there are plenty of other keys to Duke’s success as we get closer to the new year.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Patrick Cole has been suspended indefinitely.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Oklahoma-Washington, Ohio State-North Carolina and UCLA-Kentucky are just three of the marquee matchups.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 AM EST
Even with the win there are things Duke needs to improve upon, most notably the fact that they’ve committed 36 turnovers over the last two games.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Also of note was Ole Miss avoiding what would have been their fourth home loss of the season.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
Jabari McGhee suffered the injury in Tennessee’s loss to NC State on Wednesday.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
Branden Dawson is the team’s leading rebounder, as he’s grabbing 8.7 boards per contest.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)