Jan 2, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Games of the Day/Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: No. 16 Creighton at Illinois State (8 p.m.)
A great matchup to start off Missouri Valley Conference play, both a team matchup, as well as an individual matchup. Illinois State had a four-game winning streak snapped by Indiana State in the conference opener, while Creighton, the MVC favorite, comes in with a 12-1 record, a lone loss to Boise State. Doug McDermott, one of the leading candidates for Player of the Year, enters averaging 23.5 points to go along with seven boards. He’ll share the floor with a talented opponent. Jackie Carmichael 17.5 points a game, as well as over eight rebounds
No. 1 Duke at Davidson (7 p.m., ESPN2)
Not really a road game for the nation’s top team, as it will be played in Charlotte. The Blue Devils are cruising as of late, behind the National Player of the Year-type play by senior Mason Plumlee. Davidson entered the season with a lot of hype, however the Cougars already have five losses and it’s Jan. 3.
Rutgers at No. 7 Syracuse (7 p.m., ESPN3)
The classic Big East matchup of a future Big Ten school taking on a future ACC school. But seriously, big-game tonight, filled with emotions tonight at the Carrier Dome. Jim Boeheim looks to pass Bob Knight on the men’s Division I wins list, putting him behind only Coach K. This also marks the beginning of the end of a Big East charter member, with the Orange joining the ACC next year.
Five Things to Watch
1. Louisville looks for revenge against Providence. Last season the Cardinals suffered an embarrassing road loss to the Friars, 90-59.
2. Brothers go head-to-head. Jordan Bachynski and Arizona State host Dallin Bachynski and Utah. Jordan enters averaging 9.8 points per game, while Dallin chips in 7.6. per game.
3. Stevens to hit a milestone. Brad Stevens looks to notch his 150th victory against Penn tonight, in only his sixth season on the Butler sideline.
4. Catholic 7 start Big East action. St. John’s travels to play Villanova (8 p.m. ESPNU). Followed by DePaul hosting Seton Hall (9 p.m. ESPN3).
5. Another game to watch. La Salle travels down to Florida to take on Miami, in a matchup between two teams many believe could be on the bubble come March.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
The lawsuit stemmed from the incident in the spring of 2014.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Praised for his ability as both a coach and recruiter, Beckner also helped develop Damian Lillard into a lottery pick.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Childs played well with the Utah Prospects in Las Vegas during the final evaluation period.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Indiana, Kentucky and St. John’s are among the ten, as many expected.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:27 PM EDT
SMU will be the headliner for this event, with the semifinals scheduled for December 22 and the third place and title games the following night.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Former Texas A&M guard Peyton Allen is now a Shocker.
Aug 1, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Iowa is hoping for improvement from a sophomore forward who showed promise this summer.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
This Wisconsin rap battle is starting to spread.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
There will be 39 college counselors playing at adidas Nations this weekend.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:52 AM EDT
Is this an addition for depth, or should Kentucky be concerned about another center?
Aug 1, 2015, 8:44 AM EDT
Kentucky continues to add international pieces to its latest recruiting class.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Markelle Fultz was one of the best players during the July live evaluation period.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Duke gets a huge official visit in late August from a five-star guard.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
LaMelo Ball, a 13-year-old guard, committed to UCLA like his two older brothers.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Michigan State sophomore guard Javon Bess will try to stay healthy and in the rotation next season.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Both are perimeter players, giving the Spiders additional depth moving forward.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
McLaughlin de-committed from Washington in mid-May, but the Huskies remain in the mix.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
The injunction would have allowed current and future players to be compensated for the uses of their names, images and likenesses.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
The two programs are ranked first and third, respectively, on the NCAA all-time wins list.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:07 AM EDT
Louisville, NC State, St. John’s and West Virginia remain in the running for his pledge.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)