Jan 2, 2013, 12:27 PM EST
After two and a half seasons at UCLA, junior center, Josh Smith has decided to transfer to Georgetown.
This report came just before noon on Wednesday, as CBSSports.com Senior Basketball writer, Jeff Goodman reports. Goodman reported that Smith picked the Hoyas over Kansas. Smith had visited Georgetown three weeks ago.
Smith decided to leave the program back in late November. Through six games, the 6-foot-9 center was averaging career-lows in points (5.2), rebounds (4.2), and minutes (13.5).
“Joshua is a fine young man who has meant a lot to this program,” said UCLA head coach Ben Howland said in a statement back on Nov. 28. “I know I speak for myself and my staff when I thank him for his time in Westwood and wish him well in his future endeavors.”
“I have made the decision to leave the program for personal reasons,” Smith added on the Nov. 28 statement. “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at UCLA and am grateful for the opportunity that has been presented to me here.”
Smith entered Westwood as a highly-touted recruit with a great skill set. However, weight and conditioning has always been his undoing. Over the summer, Smith was still struggling weight, just weeks before classes began. This is after he told reporters he was down 15 pounds in June.
Now Smith, a Washington state native, heads to D.C. to rejuvenate his career, under John Thompson III, who has had great success with centers over the years.
Smith can be eligible for the second semester in the 2013-2014 season (late December) or could wait until the start of the 2014-2015 campaign to play a full season.
Tyler Lamb, a junior guard, had decided to transfer only days earlier.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)