Jan 2, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Well folks, 2013 has certainly started off on the bizarre foot. We witnessed something last night that I am certain I have never witnessed at the Division-I level. At the high school level and below, sure. But never at the collegiate level. Thank you Big East referees, for making sure we learn something new every day.
Lets hit the links.
Wednesday’s Top Games:
6:00 p.m. – Eastern Michigan @ Kentucky
6:00 p.m. – Providence @ No.4 Louisville
6:30 p.m. – Nebraska @ No. 8 Ohio State
7:00 p.m. – UPenn @ No. 17 Butler
7:00 p.m. – Rutgers @ No. 7 Syracuse
7:00 p.m. – No. 1 Duke vs. Davidson
8:00 p.m. – St. John’s @ Villanova
8:00 p.m. – Indiana State @ Northern Iowa
8:00 p.m. – No. 16 Creighton @ Illinois State
8:00 p.m. – Wyoming @ SMU
8:30 p.m. – No.11 Illinois @ Purdue
9:00 p.m. – LaSalle @ Miami (Fl.)
10:00 p.m. – San Francisco @ Santa Clara
10:00 p.m. – Cal State Bakersfield @ No. 19 San Diego State
Read of the Day:
Here’s the statement from the officials in charge of the Marquette vs. UConn game, which ended in controversial fashion. You just can’t have a good controversy without some Karl Hess. Read it. (Connecticut Post)
Jeremy Lunbladt of ESPN Stats & Info provides the information about the top ten likeliest coaches to join the 900 wins club. Read it. (ESPN)
Referees allow UConn to go to the wrong basket in overtime:In a game that featured a furious rally in the final 10 seconds to force overtime, the only thing that anyone is going to be talking about after Marquette’s 82-76 win over UConn in the Big East opener for both teams is a mistake that cost UConn a bucket at the start of the extra period.
Late Night Snacks: Marquette outlasted UConn in overtime, but UConn got two points taken from them. Greg Gantt of Florida Atlantic had a big night oo.
Bruce Ellington back to hoops after beating Michigan in Outback Bowl: The Gamecock’s top point guard scored the winning touchdown for the football team on Tuesday afternoon against Michigan in the Outback bowl. Now that football season is over, he will join Frank Martin’s squad as they begin SEC play.
CBT Monthly Awards: Arizona earns accolades, everybody enjoyed Butler vs. Indiana: The College Basketball Talk writers get together to discuss which teams and players excelled in the month of December. Nobody is surprised to see Michigan at No. 2 and everybody is on the Kansas bandwagon.
- Louisville’s Chane Behanen is doubtful for tonight’s game against Providence because of the flu. (Courier-Journal)
- Seton Hall reserve guard Freddie Jones has decided to transfer, leaving Kevin Willard with just eight scholarship players heading in to Big East play. (New Jersey Hoops Haven)
- Former-Seton Hall forward Herb Pope arrested for allegedly pulling gun in bar. (CBS Local Pittsburgh)
- Former-Arizona guard Marcus Williams failed a drug test in China and in doing so is the first doping case in the 17 year history of the Chinese Basketball Association. Can’t make this type of stuff up. (AZ Desert Swarm)
- 6-foot-11 California-native Kameron Rooks announced via Twitter yesterday that he has committed to the Cal Bears and Mike Montgomery (Cal Golden Blogs)
Observations & Insight:
- The Utah vs. Arizona State game features the “Battle of the Bachynskis” as ASU’s seven-foot senior Jordan Bachynski goes up against Utah’s seven-foot sophomore Dallin Bachynski. (Arizona Republic)
- Using a lot of stats that I can’t comprehend, Ken Pomeroy determines the conference winners for all 32 leagues (KenPom Blog)
- Parrish and Goodman compile their new Player of the Year top-ten list, no movement at the top. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Jeff Borzello updates us on his Freshman of the Year rankings. Bennett, Smart and McLemore are still at the top. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Duke sits atop the ACC power rankings with North Carolina State in at number two with Maryland rounding out the top-3. (Fox Sports Carolina)
- Matt Norlander has some solid suggestions for college hoops new years resolutions. The Rick Majerus Classic is a must. (Eye on College Basketball)
- An excellent-read from Glen Logan on what JohN Calipari needs to do to get Alex Poythress to reinvent himself. (A Sea of Blue)
- Arizona senior Kevin Parrom isn’t on the court when the game begins, but is almost always out there when it counts. (Arizona Daily Star)
- You probably didn’t notice, but Maryland has now won 12 straight games since losing to Kentucky by three in the season opener. The Terps will be ranked before the season’s end. (CSN Washington)
- I know some of you out there are itching for the Big Sky power rankings. (Big Sky Basketball)
- Ten predictions that may come true in 2013. (Scout.com)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The electrifying point guard has put his name into the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
The Harrison twins are halfway through deciding on returning to Lexington or declaring for the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Garrett becomes the fourth member of the Crimson Tide’s incoming class.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
The Cougars landed a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Watch the incoming class showcase their talents in Brooklyn on Friday night.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)