Jan 2, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Trevis Simpson is a guy that has made a name for himself with his ability to score in highlight reel ways, but this season, the UNC-Greensboro junior guard has proven to be one of the most dangerous scorers in the country.
The 20.3 points that he averages is 15th-best nationally and comes at a time when he’s been shooting a career-high 35.7% from three.
But Simpson missed the Spartans’ New Year’s Eve games against NC State with a sprained ankle, and while the injury is fairly notable in and of itself, the reason that it’s postworthy has much more to do with how he hurt the ankle that the fact that a volume-scorer on a 2-9 team missed a guarantee game.
Coach Wes Miller said Simpson — the nation’s 15th-leading scorer — was walking to the pregame meal at the team hotel when an automatic door opened. Caught by surprise, Simpson heard a pop in his right ankle.
“It is the darnedest thing I’ve ever heard of in my entire life,” Miller said. “If that’s not freaky, I don’t know what is.”
Getting scared by an automatic door opening is embarrassing enough. Spraining your ankle and missing a game against a top 25 team is pure and utter humiliation, the kind that any good teammate would never, ever allow Simpson to live down.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)