Jan 2, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Trevis Simpson is a guy that has made a name for himself with his ability to score in highlight reel ways, but this season, the UNC-Greensboro junior guard has proven to be one of the most dangerous scorers in the country.
The 20.3 points that he averages is 15th-best nationally and comes at a time when he’s been shooting a career-high 35.7% from three.
But Simpson missed the Spartans’ New Year’s Eve games against NC State with a sprained ankle, and while the injury is fairly notable in and of itself, the reason that it’s postworthy has much more to do with how he hurt the ankle that the fact that a volume-scorer on a 2-9 team missed a guarantee game.
Coach Wes Miller said Simpson — the nation’s 15th-leading scorer — was walking to the pregame meal at the team hotel when an automatic door opened. Caught by surprise, Simpson heard a pop in his right ankle.
“It is the darnedest thing I’ve ever heard of in my entire life,” Miller said. “If that’s not freaky, I don’t know what is.”
Getting scared by an automatic door opening is embarrassing enough. Spraining your ankle and missing a game against a top 25 team is pure and utter humiliation, the kind that any good teammate would never, ever allow Simpson to live down.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)