Jan 2, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Trevis Simpson is a guy that has made a name for himself with his ability to score in highlight reel ways, but this season, the UNC-Greensboro junior guard has proven to be one of the most dangerous scorers in the country.
The 20.3 points that he averages is 15th-best nationally and comes at a time when he’s been shooting a career-high 35.7% from three.
But Simpson missed the Spartans’ New Year’s Eve games against NC State with a sprained ankle, and while the injury is fairly notable in and of itself, the reason that it’s postworthy has much more to do with how he hurt the ankle that the fact that a volume-scorer on a 2-9 team missed a guarantee game.
Coach Wes Miller said Simpson — the nation’s 15th-leading scorer — was walking to the pregame meal at the team hotel when an automatic door opened. Caught by surprise, Simpson heard a pop in his right ankle.
“It is the darnedest thing I’ve ever heard of in my entire life,” Miller said. “If that’s not freaky, I don’t know what is.”
Getting scared by an automatic door opening is embarrassing enough. Spraining your ankle and missing a game against a top 25 team is pure and utter humiliation, the kind that any good teammate would never, ever allow Simpson to live down.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)