Jan 3, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
The recruiting process is such that the excitement of being wanted can lead a player to make a decision before he’s ready to do so. Such was the case for 2014 forward Leron Black, who committed to Baylor back in September shortly after making an unofficial visit to the Big 12 school.
Black cited the speed of his decision in announcing the reopening of his recruitment on Wednesday, as first reported by John Martin of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.
A 6-7, 218-pound forward who attends White Station HS in Memphis, Black chose the Bears over schools such as the hometown Tigers, Kansas, Ohio State and many more.
“I feel like I didn’t really just look at the whole situation,” Black said. “Baylor was just recruiting me the most at the time. I didn’t know much about the whole college situation, and they were the only school recruiting me hard. I just got to thinking, and heard other schools wanted me and stuff, and I thought and prayed about it. I think I rushed it.”
Black, who cited religion as one reason for his decision to commit to Baylor, maintains that it will have an impact on where he ultimately attends college. One of the first elite players in the 2014 class to make a commitment, Black will be one of the most highly sought-after players in his class due to his athleticism and ability to finish.
Baylor doesn’t have a commitment in the 2014 class as a result of Black’s decision but there’s still plenty of time for that to change (obviously). Scott Drew’s 2013 class is four deep, with centers Dominic Woodson and Jonathan Motley and small forward Ishmail Wainright being the headliners.
Photo credit: Nike
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte