Jan 3, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
The recruiting process is such that the excitement of being wanted can lead a player to make a decision before he’s ready to do so. Such was the case for 2014 forward Leron Black, who committed to Baylor back in September shortly after making an unofficial visit to the Big 12 school.
Black cited the speed of his decision in announcing the reopening of his recruitment on Wednesday, as first reported by John Martin of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.
A 6-7, 218-pound forward who attends White Station HS in Memphis, Black chose the Bears over schools such as the hometown Tigers, Kansas, Ohio State and many more.
“I feel like I didn’t really just look at the whole situation,” Black said. “Baylor was just recruiting me the most at the time. I didn’t know much about the whole college situation, and they were the only school recruiting me hard. I just got to thinking, and heard other schools wanted me and stuff, and I thought and prayed about it. I think I rushed it.”
Black, who cited religion as one reason for his decision to commit to Baylor, maintains that it will have an impact on where he ultimately attends college. One of the first elite players in the 2014 class to make a commitment, Black will be one of the most highly sought-after players in his class due to his athleticism and ability to finish.
Baylor doesn’t have a commitment in the 2014 class as a result of Black’s decision but there’s still plenty of time for that to change (obviously). Scott Drew’s 2013 class is four deep, with centers Dominic Woodson and Jonathan Motley and small forward Ishmail Wainright being the headliners.
Photo credit: Nike
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)