Jan 3, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
The recruiting process is such that the excitement of being wanted can lead a player to make a decision before he’s ready to do so. Such was the case for 2014 forward Leron Black, who committed to Baylor back in September shortly after making an unofficial visit to the Big 12 school.
Black cited the speed of his decision in announcing the reopening of his recruitment on Wednesday, as first reported by John Martin of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal.
A 6-7, 218-pound forward who attends White Station HS in Memphis, Black chose the Bears over schools such as the hometown Tigers, Kansas, Ohio State and many more.
“I feel like I didn’t really just look at the whole situation,” Black said. “Baylor was just recruiting me the most at the time. I didn’t know much about the whole college situation, and they were the only school recruiting me hard. I just got to thinking, and heard other schools wanted me and stuff, and I thought and prayed about it. I think I rushed it.”
Black, who cited religion as one reason for his decision to commit to Baylor, maintains that it will have an impact on where he ultimately attends college. One of the first elite players in the 2014 class to make a commitment, Black will be one of the most highly sought-after players in his class due to his athleticism and ability to finish.
Baylor doesn’t have a commitment in the 2014 class as a result of Black’s decision but there’s still plenty of time for that to change (obviously). Scott Drew’s 2013 class is four deep, with centers Dominic Woodson and Jonathan Motley and small forward Ishmail Wainright being the headliners.
Photo credit: Nike
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)