Jan 3, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Your Thursday edition of The Morning Mix is being brought to you by all 11 of Troy Daniels’ 3-pointers last night. Yup, that’s right, VCU’s Troy Daniels hit 11 of his 20 3-point attempts. Dude was feeling it.
Also from last night, Jim Boeheim won the 903rd game of his career, surpassing Bobby Knight on the all-time list.
Lets hit the links.
Thursday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – No. 2 Michigan @ Northwestern
7:00 p.m. – Northeastern @ George Mason (NBC Sports Network)
7:00 p.m. – Fairfield @ Canisius
8:00 p.m. – Colorado @ No. 3 Arizona
8:00 p.m. – Belmont @ Jacksonville State
8:30 p.m. – Penn State @ Wisconsin
9:00 p.m. – Loyola Marymount @ BYU
9:00 p.m. – No. 10 Gonzaga @ Pepperdine
10:00 p.m. – Stanford @ USC
11:00 p.m. – Cal @ UCLA
Read of the Day:
Luke Winn’s weekly power rankings. Get some. (Sports Illustrated)
Read of the Day:
The line separating motivation from “going to far” is getting blurred, according to college coaches. From Brendan Prunty of the New Jersey Star-Ledger. Read it. (New Jersey Star-Ledger)
Read of the Day:
Jon Gasaway on Arizona’s untapped potential and efficiency. It’s a great-read. Read it. (ESPN Insider)
Read of the Day:
Dana O’Neil hits a home run with her column on Jim Boeheim surpassing Bobby Knight on the all-time wins list. It’s never been about Jim, so obviously, his career is about much more than just a number. Read it. (ESPN)
No. 11 Illinois falls in their Big Ten opener at Purdue: Winning on the road is not easy, and Purdue shut down an Illinois team not built to win on the road. Big Ten teams now have a blueprint on how to stop the Illini.
Episode 4 of the CBT Podcast: Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports joins the show this week to remind us how some of the conferences stack up heading in to the regular season. He does lots of talking. Troy does very little. It turned out to be the right choice. Give a listen to the best 30 minutes in college hoops.
Troy Daniels hits 11 threes in a game, has taken 15 twos this year? VCU’s Troy Daniels hit 11 3-pointers last night in the Rams 109-58 drubbing of East Tennessee State. In the last three games Daniels has shot 27-49 from beyond the arc. He has taken only 15 2-point field goals all season. AWESOME.
Trevis Simpson injured his ankle in the most bizarre way possible: Trevis Simpson is the best player on UNC-Greensboro. He’s also a freak athlete with rim-rocking capabilities. But the way he injured his ankle is just kinda bizarre. Automatic doors? Really?
Pac-12 Conference Catchup: Arizona is the favorite to win the Pac-12, and unless UCLA can make vast improvements (Which they just may), the gap between Arizona and the rest in the west is huge.
Conference Catchup for the CAA: Remember when the CAA was a three-bid league? Well, not anymore. The once-strong mid-major league is now being carried by George Mason. This was supposed to be Drexel’s year, but the Dragons have struggled, and the league now looks like it’s Mason or bust.
Jim Boeheim passes Knight for 2nd on career wins list: Syracuse defeated Rutgers 78-53 to give Jim Boeheim his 903rd career win, surpassing Bobby Knight on the all-time wins list.
West Coast Conference Catchup: Gonzaga looks to be the favorites again, but the race for second looks to be very close. BYU, Saint Mary’s and Santa Clara are all right there, and San Francisco has been a huge surprise.
Brad Stevens says he has ‘no shot’ at 900 wins: The 36-year old Butler head coach could get his 150th career win on Wednesday, and at his current pace, could get to the 900-wins plateau before sixty. But the youthful Bulldogs head coach said there is “no chance” of that happening.
– Class of 2014 forward Leron Black has de-commited from Baylor and has reopened his recruitment. (Memphis Commercial-Appeal)
- Bradley center Will Egolf was charged with felony drug count and was released on bail yesterday (Peoria Journal-Star)
- Former-UCLA center Josh Smith has decided to transfer and will be eligible to play starting in January of 2014. (Eye on College Basketball)
Observations & Insight:
– Troy Daniels is just one of the many reasons why Jay Bilas has VCU as his top underrated team in the country. (ESPN Insider)
- Paul Biancardi ranks his top ten under-the-radar freshman, including shot-blocking phenom Chris Obekpa and Wisconsin slasher Sam Dekkar. (ESPN Insider)
- Memphis and Tennessee will face off on Friday for the last time, as the two schools are ending their non-conference series. It’s a shame too. But apparently Memphis wants to play Louisville and that’s it. (Memphis Commercial-Appeal)
- Conference-USA is a mess. If you want to read a conference rest about C-USA, here it is. But I’m warning you, it’s ugly. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Ken Pomeroy released his standings for the kPOY award, or KenPom Player of the Year Award. As you can imagine, there are a lot of statistics involved. (KenPom Blog)
- This is now the third straight week we’ve said this, but it does worth repeating: Boston College is not nearly as bad as we thought they would be. (Hoopville)
- Mason Plumlee had a bad game last night against Davidson. But his bad games are better than most players good games, which is a scary thought for the ACC. (The Sporting News)
- They aren’t joking around when they say Butler’s Blue II is the most media-savvy mascot in the country. (WISH-TV8)
Dunk(s) of the Day:
I’m not big on high school dunks, but this is just silly. Ain’t nothing “high school” about that. (College Basketball Talk)
Video(s) of the Day:
VCU’s Troy Daniels hit 11 3-pointers last night against East Tennessee State. Here is video of all 11. (H/T @VCUHorns)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Sep 30, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
IUPUI unveiled a new court design this week.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Western Kentucky fans were given three options and selected one for the upcoming season.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
NBA teams know all about efficiency stats and advanced analytics. College freshmen and sophomores may not.
Sep 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Those can’t be called dorms. Maybe luxury resort housing.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Evans may be the best point guard in the Class of 2015, but it’s up for debate.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
Ernie Kent lands his third commitment in the Class of 2015.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
The pair will replace Digger Phelps and Jalen Rose.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
The Owls may not have landed Jalen Brunson, but they did bring in an elite “legacy” in the back court.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Long Beach State has four commits in 2015.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Pauley Pavilion has gone under plenty of changes in the last few seasons and dealt with a flooding issue several months back.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
UNLV continues to tap into the local powerhouse.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
All four commits are ranked in the Rivals150.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Spoiler: Kentucky is going to dunk a lot this season.
Sep 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A decision could come within the next three weeks.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
John Calipari’s loaded roster has required a new position on the Kentucky staff.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Logwood had previously signed with Auburn.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Spoelstra is now the head coach of the Miami Heat.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
New head coach Mike Rhoades is from the Shaka Smart coaching tree.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
Will this hurt Cuonzo Martin’s program?
Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Deville Smith has completed the tough task of playing for four different schools in four seasons.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Maryland transfer eligible this season at Georgia Tech (3)
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)