Jan 3, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Your Thursday edition of The Morning Mix is being brought to you by all 11 of Troy Daniels’ 3-pointers last night. Yup, that’s right, VCU’s Troy Daniels hit 11 of his 20 3-point attempts. Dude was feeling it.
Also from last night, Jim Boeheim won the 903rd game of his career, surpassing Bobby Knight on the all-time list.
Lets hit the links.
Thursday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – No. 2 Michigan @ Northwestern
7:00 p.m. – Northeastern @ George Mason (NBC Sports Network)
7:00 p.m. – Fairfield @ Canisius
8:00 p.m. – Colorado @ No. 3 Arizona
8:00 p.m. – Belmont @ Jacksonville State
8:30 p.m. – Penn State @ Wisconsin
9:00 p.m. – Loyola Marymount @ BYU
9:00 p.m. – No. 10 Gonzaga @ Pepperdine
10:00 p.m. – Stanford @ USC
11:00 p.m. – Cal @ UCLA
Read of the Day:
Luke Winn’s weekly power rankings. Get some. (Sports Illustrated)
Read of the Day:
The line separating motivation from “going to far” is getting blurred, according to college coaches. From Brendan Prunty of the New Jersey Star-Ledger. Read it. (New Jersey Star-Ledger)
Read of the Day:
Jon Gasaway on Arizona’s untapped potential and efficiency. It’s a great-read. Read it. (ESPN Insider)
Read of the Day:
Dana O’Neil hits a home run with her column on Jim Boeheim surpassing Bobby Knight on the all-time wins list. It’s never been about Jim, so obviously, his career is about much more than just a number. Read it. (ESPN)
No. 11 Illinois falls in their Big Ten opener at Purdue: Winning on the road is not easy, and Purdue shut down an Illinois team not built to win on the road. Big Ten teams now have a blueprint on how to stop the Illini.
Episode 4 of the CBT Podcast: Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports joins the show this week to remind us how some of the conferences stack up heading in to the regular season. He does lots of talking. Troy does very little. It turned out to be the right choice. Give a listen to the best 30 minutes in college hoops.
Troy Daniels hits 11 threes in a game, has taken 15 twos this year? VCU’s Troy Daniels hit 11 3-pointers last night in the Rams 109-58 drubbing of East Tennessee State. In the last three games Daniels has shot 27-49 from beyond the arc. He has taken only 15 2-point field goals all season. AWESOME.
Trevis Simpson injured his ankle in the most bizarre way possible: Trevis Simpson is the best player on UNC-Greensboro. He’s also a freak athlete with rim-rocking capabilities. But the way he injured his ankle is just kinda bizarre. Automatic doors? Really?
Pac-12 Conference Catchup: Arizona is the favorite to win the Pac-12, and unless UCLA can make vast improvements (Which they just may), the gap between Arizona and the rest in the west is huge.
Conference Catchup for the CAA: Remember when the CAA was a three-bid league? Well, not anymore. The once-strong mid-major league is now being carried by George Mason. This was supposed to be Drexel’s year, but the Dragons have struggled, and the league now looks like it’s Mason or bust.
Jim Boeheim passes Knight for 2nd on career wins list: Syracuse defeated Rutgers 78-53 to give Jim Boeheim his 903rd career win, surpassing Bobby Knight on the all-time wins list.
West Coast Conference Catchup: Gonzaga looks to be the favorites again, but the race for second looks to be very close. BYU, Saint Mary’s and Santa Clara are all right there, and San Francisco has been a huge surprise.
Brad Stevens says he has ‘no shot’ at 900 wins: The 36-year old Butler head coach could get his 150th career win on Wednesday, and at his current pace, could get to the 900-wins plateau before sixty. But the youthful Bulldogs head coach said there is “no chance” of that happening.
- Class of 2014 forward Leron Black has de-commited from Baylor and has reopened his recruitment. (Memphis Commercial-Appeal)
- Bradley center Will Egolf was charged with felony drug count and was released on bail yesterday (Peoria Journal-Star)
- Former-UCLA center Josh Smith has decided to transfer and will be eligible to play starting in January of 2014. (Eye on College Basketball)
Observations & Insight:
- Troy Daniels is just one of the many reasons why Jay Bilas has VCU as his top underrated team in the country. (ESPN Insider)
- Paul Biancardi ranks his top ten under-the-radar freshman, including shot-blocking phenom Chris Obekpa and Wisconsin slasher Sam Dekkar. (ESPN Insider)
- Memphis and Tennessee will face off on Friday for the last time, as the two schools are ending their non-conference series. It’s a shame too. But apparently Memphis wants to play Louisville and that’s it. (Memphis Commercial-Appeal)
- Conference-USA is a mess. If you want to read a conference rest about C-USA, here it is. But I’m warning you, it’s ugly. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Ken Pomeroy released his standings for the kPOY award, or KenPom Player of the Year Award. As you can imagine, there are a lot of statistics involved. (KenPom Blog)
- This is now the third straight week we’ve said this, but it does worth repeating: Boston College is not nearly as bad as we thought they would be. (Hoopville)
- Mason Plumlee had a bad game last night against Davidson. But his bad games are better than most players good games, which is a scary thought for the ACC. (The Sporting News)
- They aren’t joking around when they say Butler’s Blue II is the most media-savvy mascot in the country. (WISH-TV8)
Dunk(s) of the Day:
I’m not big on high school dunks, but this is just silly. Ain’t nothing “high school” about that. (College Basketball Talk)
Video(s) of the Day:
VCU’s Troy Daniels hit 11 3-pointers last night against East Tennessee State. Here is video of all 11. (H/T @VCUHorns)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Apr 24, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
The NCAA’s Board of Directors released some key decisions on Thursday.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Colorado junior guard Spencer Dinwiddie has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Dan D’Antoni spent 30 years as a high school coach in South Carolina.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
Parker is not a fan of forcing players to stay in school for two years.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
There are reports he’s already signed with an agent.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
The seven-footer will miss some time getting a torn labrum repaired.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Roy Williams is not the world’s greatest dancer.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Kentucky, Kansas and just about every elite program in the country is on the trail of the Haitian.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s pretty funnyl
Apr 24, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports, former Georgetown big Moses Ayegba has decided to transfer to Nebraska.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After playing well in Kentucky’s run to the national title game, Dakari Johnson has decided to return for his sophomore season.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU should have the pieces to be a tournament team in 2014-2015.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Minnesota landed a commitment from a 6-foot-11 three-star recruit.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Adala Moto was a top 150 recruit in the class of 2012.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)