Jan 3, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
As you know, Jim Boeheim won his 903rd game last night, sliding him past Bobby Knight and into second place on the all-time wins list.*
And, as usual, Dana O’Neil of ESPN.com pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to Boeheim’s achievement: what makes it so impressive is that you have to be borderline insane to thrive as a college basketball coach, and Boeheim’s been doing it for the better part of four decades.
I think it’s safe to say that Boeheim isn’t going to catch Mike Krzyzewski in first place. He’s currently 36 wins behind the Duke head coach, who is three years younger. But is there a coach that has a chance to catch Coach K?
If I was a betting man, I’d put my money on Brad Stevens, regardless of whether or not he tries to claim he doesn’t want to reach 900 wins, or Bill Self. Stevens is 36, already has 149 wins and will either continue to mow down A-10 opponents while at Butler or take over a job coaching the next Blueblood that offs their head coach. Self is 50 and has 487 career wins, and based on the way that his Kansas program is winning Big 12 titles, he could legitimately average 30 wins per season for the rest of his career.
The folks at ESPN put together their own chart of potential 900 win candidates. Their favorite: Bob Huggins.
Who do you think will crack that barrier next?
*(For the purposes of this post, we’re only referring to Division I wins on the men’s side.)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)