Jan 4, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The finish to Colorado vs. Arizona is what everybody will be talking about at the water cooler today. Sabatino Chen banked in a 3-pointer at the buzzer to beat Arizona. One ref called it a make, the others didn’t know. So they went to the monitors, and all hell broke loose.
As you could imagine, we have a lot to get to.
Lets hit the links.
Friday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – George Washington @ Georgia
8:00 p.m. – Memphis @ Tennessee
9:00 p.m. – Fordham @ Ole Miss
Tweet of the Day:
@sabatinochen23 Ball Don’t Lie.
Read of the Day:
Jeff Calkins nails it regarding the pretty disastrous way the Memphis athletic department has handled the ending of the Tennessee series. Read it. (Memphis Commercial-Appeal)
Read of the Day:
An absolutely awesome piece from the New York Times on legendary coaching icon Jerry Tarkanian. This piece does a really good job of covering all the sides to the former-UNLV head coach. At 82 years old, Tark’s health is starting to deteriorate. Take 10-15min and read this. (New York Times)
No. 3 Arizona survives Colorado on controversial call: Sabatino Chen hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer off the glass to beat Arizona. The only problem was that it didn’t count. Or at least that’s what the refs said. You be the judge.
Refs blew call that cost Colorado win at Arizona, but not how you think: The refs cost Colorado a signature win and saved Arizona’s undefeated record. But surprisingly enough, the screwed up on more than one call.
Arizona’s offensive execution must improve if they’re to be a national contender: If Arizona wants to keep its undefeated streak, they will need to shoot better than 7-of-27 from the field overall and 3-of-11 from beyond the arc in the first half.
It looks like the Memphis/Tennessee rivalry might not be cancelled after all: On Wednesday Josh Pastner was saying the rivalry was done after this season and that Tiger fans wanted Louisville instead. But with recruiting at stake, the in-state non-conference rivalry looks to be staying around.
Breaking down how Purdue stopped Illinois’ Brandon Paul: The Boilermakers provided the blueprint for how to shut down potent Illinois scorer Brandon Paul. Here is a X’s & O’s break down of how it went down.
There’s a bigger point to Kentucky monitoring the heart rate of its players than work ethic: John Calipari is having the kentucky Wildcats wear heart monitors during practice to measure just how hard they are working. Some people have an issue with this. Raphielle Johnson doesn’t, and he will tell you why.
Big-XII Conference Catchup: The Big-XII is Kansas’ to win, but the Oklahoma State Cowboys could contend if they get consistent production from Le’Bryan Nash, Marcus Smart and company..
10 tidbits to know: Louisville’s chemistry, McCollum can shoot and more: Vin Parise, the College Basketball Insider for NBC Sports Talk stops by to drop some knowledge. Did you know that Davidson’s Nick Cothran is shooting 98% from the foul line? Vin did.
Santa Clara head coach Kerry Keating offers students special deal for Saturday’s game against No. 10 Gonzaga: This is just awesome. Santa Clara has their biggest home game of the season this weekend. But since students won’t be back from break, the Broncos’ head coach is going to help make sure students can afford to get back for the game.
– Arkansas-Litte Rock guard John Gillon injured his knee last night against Western Kentucky and is expected to miss the next two weeks. (Burn the Horse)
– Virginia point guard Jontel Evans could return to action this Sunday against UNC. (Washington Post)
– St. John’s senior forward Orlando Sanchez was declared ineligible by the NCAA in November and as of now it looks like he is unlikely to ever suit up for the Red Storm ever again. (SNY.tv)
Observations & Insight:
– In the wake of last night’s controversy, Colorado head coach Tad Boyle wants replay gone. (ESPN)
– Hawaii moved to 2-0 in the Big West thanks to a buzzer-beater from Garrett Jefferson (Warrior Insider)
– The “Catholic-7″ will be meeting in New York City today to discuss exit strategies from the Big East. (Hartford Courant)
– Is it possible that we are overlooking the Big-XII? Considering Oklahoma State is the second-best team, I’d say “Yes. Yes we are overlooking the Big-XII”. (Dallas Star-Telegram)
– The Robert Morris Colonials are the current favorites to win the NEC. Well, that was before they put up a lackluster performance against Bryant and lost a game they were expected to dominate. (Times-Online)
– Gary Parrish takes a look a head at what is on tap this weekend. (Eye on College Basketball)
– Jeff Goodman’s “Good N’ Plenty” weekly feature takes Jamie Dixon to task for loading up on cupcake-heavy non-conference schedule and wonders if Wyoming’s Leonard Washington is the frontrunner for Mountain West Player of the Year. (Eye on College Basketball)
– Is it possible that San Diego State stays in the Big East? (Mountain West Connection)
– Get this: Murray State won their 600th game as a member of the Ohio Valley Conference last night. There is a Jim Calhoun joke to be made somewhere in here. (OVC Ball)
Picture of the Day:
This is what the Pac-12 website showed following the controversial Arizona/Colorado ending. #StandingsFail (H/T @UtahRy)
video(s) of the Day:
Sabatino Chen’s release. You be the judge
Video(s) of the Day:
Cody Zeller got himself a rap anthem. (Assembly Call)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Mar 29, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
We now know who plays when during the Final Four.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
Hurley just completed his third season with the Rams.
Mar 29, 2015, 5:02 PM EDT
This is the first Final Four Michigan State has been to since 2009.
Mar 29, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Dave Leitao is the leading candidate to become the head coach at DePaul for a second time.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Five-star big man Ivan Rabb makes a clutch free throw to win a California state title.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Wisconsin and Kentucky get to play again after last season’s thrilling National Semifinal.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
The label of “best coach yet to reach a Final Four” will remain Miller’s for another offseason, whether that’s fair or not.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:50 AM EDT
The Big Ten champion and SEC champion move on to Indy.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
The Wildcats knocked off a tough Notre Dame team.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Dekker scored 20 of his 27 points in the second half at Wisconsin beat Arizona in the Elite Eight for the second straight year.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:34 PM EDT
Frank got a little funky after Wisconsin’s win over Arizona.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
This is too funny.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Barnes coached at Texas for 17 seasons.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT
So Andrew Harrison was a grown man in middle school?
Arrests made as Michigan State fans gather, set fires near off-campus apartments after Sweet 16 win (VIDEO)
Mar 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Some Michigan State students got a little too rowdy following a win over Oklahoma.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
The Citadel hired away the head coach of a Southern Conference rival.
Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey on college hoops: ‘It’s absolute torture watching some of these games’ (AUDIO)
Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey had some strong words on the current state of college basketball.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Frank Kaminsky’s path to stardom may not follow that of last year’s national Player of the Year winner, Doug McDermott, but it’s one that many players hope to navigate during their own time in school.
Tom Izzo blames himself, new Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie on Michigan State’s sluggish Sweet 16 start
Mar 28, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Michigan State might have been the only people in the country watching “Get Hard” on Friday afternoon.
Former oddsmaker believes Kentucky would be underdog against all-time great college basketball teams
Mar 28, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Kentucky might finish the 2014-15 season unblemished, but how do they stack up against some of the best teams in college basketball history?
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 4
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 6
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 64
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 14
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (65)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)