Jan 4, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
With three seconds to go, Siena’s Kanika Cummings converted on a layup to tie the game up at 62, on the road against Canisius. Freshman Tiahana Mills to the inbound pass for Canisius and took four dribbles, before she heaved a half court shot, banking it in at the buzzer to beat Siena, 65-62 Friday afternoon at home.
Unlike, Thursday night’s buzzer beater hit by Colorado’s Sabatino Chen – which was waved off, as Colorado lost to No. 3 Arizona in overtime – this one counted. But what it also did was force the Canisius play-by-play announcer go old school and drop a World Wrestling Federation (not WWE) reference.
First posted by AwfulAnnouncing.com, as Golden Griffins celebrates at half court, the Canisius commentator, Mike Scott, who is also a broadcaster for Time Warner Cable Sportsnet, quotes the New Age Outlaws entrance song:
“OH YOU DIDN’T KNOW, YOU’D BETTER CALL SOMEBOOODDDYYYY!!!”
I give Scott credit, not only did he go original, avoiding the cliche or a movie quote, he goes circa 1990s pro wrestling, doing his best to get into character, including the extra syllables. My only question is: was this the spur of the moment or did he have this in his back pocket for years, waiting to break it out?
UPDATED (10:33 p.m.): Following a Twitter conversation with Scott, he confirmed, the game-winning call was saved in his back pocket all along.
— Mike Scott (@MikeScottPXP) January 5, 2013
As for the game, Mills had 12 points and was 0-for-2 from three before hitting the 45-footer to win.
(Photo courtesy of GoGriffs.com)
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)