Jan 4, 2013, 7:50 PM EST
With three seconds to go, Siena’s Kanika Cummings converted on a layup to tie the game up at 62, on the road against Canisius. Freshman Tiahana Mills to the inbound pass for Canisius and took four dribbles, before she heaved a half court shot, banking it in at the buzzer to beat Siena, 65-62 Friday afternoon at home.
Unlike, Thursday night’s buzzer beater hit by Colorado’s Sabatino Chen – which was waved off, as Colorado lost to No. 3 Arizona in overtime – this one counted. But what it also did was force the Canisius play-by-play announcer go old school and drop a World Wrestling Federation (not WWE) reference.
First posted by AwfulAnnouncing.com, as Golden Griffins celebrates at half court, the Canisius commentator, Mike Scott, who is also a broadcaster for Time Warner Cable Sportsnet, quotes the New Age Outlaws entrance song:
“OH YOU DIDN’T KNOW, YOU’D BETTER CALL SOMEBOOODDDYYYY!!!”
I give Scott credit, not only did he go original, avoiding the cliche or a movie quote, he goes circa 1990s pro wrestling, doing his best to get into character, including the extra syllables. My only question is: was this the spur of the moment or did he have this in his back pocket for years, waiting to break it out?
UPDATED (10:33 p.m.): Following a Twitter conversation with Scott, he confirmed, the game-winning call was saved in his back pocket all along.
— Mike Scott (@MikeScottPXP) January 5, 2013
As for the game, Mills had 12 points and was 0-for-2 from three before hitting the 45-footer to win.
(Photo courtesy of GoGriffs.com)
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)