Jan 4, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
With three seconds to go, Siena’s Kanika Cummings converted on a layup to tie the game up at 62, on the road against Canisius. Freshman Tiahana Mills to the inbound pass for Canisius and took four dribbles, before she heaved a half court shot, banking it in at the buzzer to beat Siena, 65-62 Friday afternoon at home.
Unlike, Thursday night’s buzzer beater hit by Colorado’s Sabatino Chen – which was waved off, as Colorado lost to No. 3 Arizona in overtime – this one counted. But what it also did was force the Canisius play-by-play announcer go old school and drop a World Wrestling Federation (not WWE) reference.
First posted by AwfulAnnouncing.com, as Golden Griffins celebrates at half court, the Canisius commentator, Mike Scott, who is also a broadcaster for Time Warner Cable Sportsnet, quotes the New Age Outlaws entrance song:
“OH YOU DIDN’T KNOW, YOU’D BETTER CALL SOMEBOOODDDYYYY!!!”
I give Scott credit, not only did he go original, avoiding the cliche or a movie quote, he goes circa 1990s pro wrestling, doing his best to get into character, including the extra syllables. My only question is: was this the spur of the moment or did he have this in his back pocket for years, waiting to break it out?
UPDATED (10:33 p.m.): Following a Twitter conversation with Scott, he confirmed, the game-winning call was saved in his back pocket all along.
— Mike Scott (@MikeScottPXP) January 5, 2013
As for the game, Mills had 12 points and was 0-for-2 from three before hitting the 45-footer to win.
(Photo courtesy of GoGriffs.com)
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)