Jan 4, 2013, 7:50 PM EST
With three seconds to go, Siena’s Kanika Cummings converted on a layup to tie the game up at 62, on the road against Canisius. Freshman Tiahana Mills to the inbound pass for Canisius and took four dribbles, before she heaved a half court shot, banking it in at the buzzer to beat Siena, 65-62 Friday afternoon at home.
Unlike, Thursday night’s buzzer beater hit by Colorado’s Sabatino Chen – which was waved off, as Colorado lost to No. 3 Arizona in overtime – this one counted. But what it also did was force the Canisius play-by-play announcer go old school and drop a World Wrestling Federation (not WWE) reference.
First posted by AwfulAnnouncing.com, as Golden Griffins celebrates at half court, the Canisius commentator, Mike Scott, who is also a broadcaster for Time Warner Cable Sportsnet, quotes the New Age Outlaws entrance song:
“OH YOU DIDN’T KNOW, YOU’D BETTER CALL SOMEBOOODDDYYYY!!!”
I give Scott credit, not only did he go original, avoiding the cliche or a movie quote, he goes circa 1990s pro wrestling, doing his best to get into character, including the extra syllables. My only question is: was this the spur of the moment or did he have this in his back pocket for years, waiting to break it out?
UPDATED (10:33 p.m.): Following a Twitter conversation with Scott, he confirmed, the game-winning call was saved in his back pocket all along.
— Mike Scott (@MikeScottPXP) January 5, 2013
As for the game, Mills had 12 points and was 0-for-2 from three before hitting the 45-footer to win.
(Photo courtesy of GoGriffs.com)
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)