Jan 4, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
The seven Catholic schools met in New York on Friday, as the non-FBS, Big East schools continue to plan their future.
According to the Associated Press, the Catholic 7 announced they have retained Proskauer Rose LLP and Pilson Communications, Inc., following Friday’s meeting.
Presidents from St. John’s, Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence and Villanova met Friday to discuss further plans of the new league, vowing to “Honor the history and tradition on which the Big East was established.”
On Thursday, Paul Doyle of the Hartford Courant reported that the agenda for this meeting was to continue discussion on an exit strategy, as well as a time frame. According to Big East conference bylaws, the seven schools are being held to a 27-month exit window. The Courant reported the seven schools could negotiate an early exit with the remaining Big East schools – UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida, and Temple.
Doyle went on to report that the use of the “Big East” name and postseason contract with Madison Square Garden, as well as the television package and expansion were also expected to be brought up. In the Associated Press report, it say there was no timetable for when other schools will join the new league.
Schools such as Xavier and Butler – who is in its first season in the Atlantic 10 – are just two of the teams rumored to join the Catholic 7.
Since Sept. 2011, the Big East has lost Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Louisville to the ACC. Rutgers will join the Big Ten.
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)