Jan 4, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
The seven Catholic schools met in New York on Friday, as the non-FBS, Big East schools continue to plan their future.
According to the Associated Press, the Catholic 7 announced they have retained Proskauer Rose LLP and Pilson Communications, Inc., following Friday’s meeting.
Presidents from St. John’s, Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence and Villanova met Friday to discuss further plans of the new league, vowing to “Honor the history and tradition on which the Big East was established.”
On Thursday, Paul Doyle of the Hartford Courant reported that the agenda for this meeting was to continue discussion on an exit strategy, as well as a time frame. According to Big East conference bylaws, the seven schools are being held to a 27-month exit window. The Courant reported the seven schools could negotiate an early exit with the remaining Big East schools – UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida, and Temple.
Doyle went on to report that the use of the “Big East” name and postseason contract with Madison Square Garden, as well as the television package and expansion were also expected to be brought up. In the Associated Press report, it say there was no timetable for when other schools will join the new league.
Schools such as Xavier and Butler – who is in its first season in the Atlantic 10 – are just two of the teams rumored to join the Catholic 7.
Since Sept. 2011, the Big East has lost Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Louisville to the ACC. Rutgers will join the Big Ten.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)