Jan 4, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
The seven Catholic schools met in New York on Friday, as the non-FBS, Big East schools continue to plan their future.
According to the Associated Press, the Catholic 7 announced they have retained Proskauer Rose LLP and Pilson Communications, Inc., following Friday’s meeting.
Presidents from St. John’s, Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence and Villanova met Friday to discuss further plans of the new league, vowing to “Honor the history and tradition on which the Big East was established.”
On Thursday, Paul Doyle of the Hartford Courant reported that the agenda for this meeting was to continue discussion on an exit strategy, as well as a time frame. According to Big East conference bylaws, the seven schools are being held to a 27-month exit window. The Courant reported the seven schools could negotiate an early exit with the remaining Big East schools – UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida, and Temple.
Doyle went on to report that the use of the “Big East” name and postseason contract with Madison Square Garden, as well as the television package and expansion were also expected to be brought up. In the Associated Press report, it say there was no timetable for when other schools will join the new league.
Schools such as Xavier and Butler – who is in its first season in the Atlantic 10 – are just two of the teams rumored to join the Catholic 7.
Since Sept. 2011, the Big East has lost Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Louisville to the ACC. Rutgers will join the Big Ten.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)