Jan 4, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
Since falling to Kentucky on opening night in Brooklyn, Maryland has rallied off 12 consecutive wins heading into conference play. However the best wins of those dozens were a 20-point blowout against Northwestern and a single-digit win against a pretty good Stony Brook team.
The Terrapins will have a chance to go for lucky No. 13 on Saturday, but they’ll have to do it against the nation’s second-leading scorer, Erick Green and Virginia Tech.
While the Terrapins are looking to add another ‘W’ in the win column and try break the top-25, the Hokies are in much need of a victory following a pair of blowout losses to Colorado State and BYU to close out 2012. Green, averaging 24.4 points per game will look to bounce back against a team he has had success against following a loss to BYU where he scored a season-low 12 points off a dismal 4-of-17 shooting.
To make sure the dynamic scorer doesn’t go off, Maryland will hit him with a tag team defensive effort, according to Don Markus of the Baltimore Sun.
This tag team defense, is part of Maryland’s man-to-man defensive set, as the Terps make sure a particular player, in this case Green, is covered wherever he goes on the floor.
“We don’t play just one-on-one defense, we play team defense and we’re responsible to our man and the man next to us,” sophomore swingman Dez Wells told the Sun. “We’re doing whatever we have to do to help guard our man and the man near us.”
“I think he’s going to get his points, we just want him to earn them,” added Maryland coach Mark Turgeon.
This could be another long day for the 6-foot-3 Green. The Terrapins will look to throw size at him with 6-foot-6 Nick Faust and the 6-foot-5 Wells.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)