Jan 4, 2013, 11:47 PM EDT
One of two point guards to announce a commitment Friday night, Isaiah Taylor (The Village School/Houston, TX) will stay in state for his college career, as he committed to Rick Barnes and the Texas Longhorns.
“I just committed,” Taylor told Orangebloods.com. “I called the coaches a couple of hours ago to tell them.”
“I was the only point guard they had offered,” added Taylor. “They basically said they wouldn’t recruit (another point guard) if I committed. They weren’t surprised. I actually talked to them about it last night. They kind of had an idea. I talked to [associate head coach Rob] Lanier about it before.
“Coach Barnes actually just called my dad today just to talk. They were all excited.”
This is the first commitment for the Class of 2013 for the Longhorns, however Texas could land some top players to go along with the three-star point guard.
Julius Randle (Prestonwood Christian/Plano TX), a top-10 player has Texas in his remaining six – along with Kentucky, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Florida, and Kansas. Barnes could also land Keith Frazier (Kimball High/Dallas, TX), a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, who also holds offers from Providence, SMU, LSU, and Memphis.
Barnes has locked up a point guard for next year, but has been playing with his current point guard for all of this season thus far. Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo is suspended the first 23 games for receiving impermissible benefits.
Freshman point guard Javan Felix is averaging 8.3 points and 6.5 assists in replacement of Kabongo.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)