Jan 4, 2013, 11:47 PM EDT
One of two point guards to announce a commitment Friday night, Isaiah Taylor (The Village School/Houston, TX) will stay in state for his college career, as he committed to Rick Barnes and the Texas Longhorns.
“I just committed,” Taylor told Orangebloods.com. “I called the coaches a couple of hours ago to tell them.”
“I was the only point guard they had offered,” added Taylor. “They basically said they wouldn’t recruit (another point guard) if I committed. They weren’t surprised. I actually talked to them about it last night. They kind of had an idea. I talked to [associate head coach Rob] Lanier about it before.
“Coach Barnes actually just called my dad today just to talk. They were all excited.”
This is the first commitment for the Class of 2013 for the Longhorns, however Texas could land some top players to go along with the three-star point guard.
Julius Randle (Prestonwood Christian/Plano TX), a top-10 player has Texas in his remaining six – along with Kentucky, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Florida, and Kansas. Barnes could also land Keith Frazier (Kimball High/Dallas, TX), a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, who also holds offers from Providence, SMU, LSU, and Memphis.
Barnes has locked up a point guard for next year, but has been playing with his current point guard for all of this season thus far. Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo is suspended the first 23 games for receiving impermissible benefits.
Freshman point guard Javan Felix is averaging 8.3 points and 6.5 assists in replacement of Kabongo.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)