Jan 4, 2013, 11:47 PM EDT
One of two point guards to announce a commitment Friday night, Isaiah Taylor (The Village School/Houston, TX) will stay in state for his college career, as he committed to Rick Barnes and the Texas Longhorns.
“I just committed,” Taylor told Orangebloods.com. “I called the coaches a couple of hours ago to tell them.”
“I was the only point guard they had offered,” added Taylor. “They basically said they wouldn’t recruit (another point guard) if I committed. They weren’t surprised. I actually talked to them about it last night. They kind of had an idea. I talked to [associate head coach Rob] Lanier about it before.
“Coach Barnes actually just called my dad today just to talk. They were all excited.”
This is the first commitment for the Class of 2013 for the Longhorns, however Texas could land some top players to go along with the three-star point guard.
Julius Randle (Prestonwood Christian/Plano TX), a top-10 player has Texas in his remaining six – along with Kentucky, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Florida, and Kansas. Barnes could also land Keith Frazier (Kimball High/Dallas, TX), a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, who also holds offers from Providence, SMU, LSU, and Memphis.
Barnes has locked up a point guard for next year, but has been playing with his current point guard for all of this season thus far. Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo is suspended the first 23 games for receiving impermissible benefits.
Freshman point guard Javan Felix is averaging 8.3 points and 6.5 assists in replacement of Kabongo.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s fun to watch Tacko Fall dominate high school competition.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Maverick Rowan is reportedly focused on three schools.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
UCF is losing its third-leading scorer from last season to transfer.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Xavier landed a three-star forward on Monday.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg returned to Hilton Coliseum to give one final pre-game speech before a fantasy camp.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
It should not be a surprise who the best player from this class ended up being.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tony Hawk approves this court.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Ryan has never finished below fourth in the Big Ten.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Mullin has completely turned over the St. John’s roster.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Knight’s most famous outburst may be lost to history.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
There are 22 total players participating in the trials.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Steve Alford now has a pair of 2017 commitments.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
This is a very well thought-out statement from Martin.
Jun 28, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
Johnny Jones has done an excellent job of recruiting his state in recent years.
Jun 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
South Florida brought in an experienced guard who can contribute after sitting out a transfer season.
Jun 28, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Maryland transfer Robert Carter has worked on his conditioning since arriving from Georgia Tech.
Jun 28, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT
The USA U19 team is off to a 2-0 start at the FIBA World Championships.
Jun 28, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A top-100 player in the Class of 2016 is down to 10 schools.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Syracuse picked up a transfer big man that should help in the future.
Jun 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Trae Young has been one of the best players of spring.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)