Jan 4, 2013, 10:27 PM EST
Late Friday night, 2014 point guard, Shelton Mitchell (Cuthbertson High/Waxhaw, N.C.) came off the recruiting board, as he announced he would attend Wake Forest.
Mitchell broke the news by announcing it through his personal Twitter account, which is protected. Regardless, word spread quickly, as Justin Byerly of CarolinaPreps.com, along with others confirmed it.
The 6-foot-3 Mitchell, is considered a four-star point guard, according to Rivals.com. He picked the Demon Deacons over Arizona, Connecticut, Missouri, Illinois, Clemson, and several more schools.
Mitchell ran with the Chris Paul All-Stars on the AAU circuit, as the current Los Angeles Clippers point guard starred at Wake Forest for to seasons. Wake Forest head coach Jeff Bzdelik is getting a floor general in every sense of the world. Mitchell has great size and length for his position. He has strong handles and looks to find open teammate and create easy shots for them. On Friday, he told Arizona.Rivals.com his goal is to get double-digit assists every game.
“Shelton is the hardest working kid I’ve ever coached,” Mitchell’s high school coach Mike Helms told Jacey Zembal. “The kid is back in the gym. He’s texting me, ‘How can I get back in the gym the next day?’ He wants to get in there and get better in all facets of his game, and he has. He has continued to improve and knows there are areas he still needs to improve.”
Mitchell is the first commitment for the Demon Deacons for the 2014 class.
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 0
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)