Jan 4, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
Late Friday night, 2014 point guard, Shelton Mitchell (Cuthbertson High/Waxhaw, N.C.) came off the recruiting board, as he announced he would attend Wake Forest.
Mitchell broke the news by announcing it through his personal Twitter account, which is protected. Regardless, word spread quickly, as Justin Byerly of CarolinaPreps.com, along with others confirmed it.
The 6-foot-3 Mitchell, is considered a four-star point guard, according to Rivals.com. He picked the Demon Deacons over Arizona, Connecticut, Missouri, Illinois, Clemson, and several more schools.
Mitchell ran with the Chris Paul All-Stars on the AAU circuit, as the current Los Angeles Clippers point guard starred at Wake Forest for to seasons. Wake Forest head coach Jeff Bzdelik is getting a floor general in every sense of the world. Mitchell has great size and length for his position. He has strong handles and looks to find open teammate and create easy shots for them. On Friday, he told Arizona.Rivals.com his goal is to get double-digit assists every game.
“Shelton is the hardest working kid I’ve ever coached,” Mitchell’s high school coach Mike Helms told Jacey Zembal. “The kid is back in the gym. He’s texting me, ‘How can I get back in the gym the next day?’ He wants to get in there and get better in all facets of his game, and he has. He has continued to improve and knows there are areas he still needs to improve.”
Mitchell is the first commitment for the Demon Deacons for the 2014 class.
May 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
That numbers is half what it was in 2015.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Self and his wife created the Assists Foundation.
May 27, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Reed broke a cop’s finger while resisting a shoplifting arrest.
May 27, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Miles is 47-49 in three years with Nebraska.
May 27, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
This swing is ugly.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 30
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (30)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)