Jan 4, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
Late Friday night, 2014 point guard, Shelton Mitchell (Cuthbertson High/Waxhaw, N.C.) came off the recruiting board, as he announced he would attend Wake Forest.
Mitchell broke the news by announcing it through his personal Twitter account, which is protected. Regardless, word spread quickly, as Justin Byerly of CarolinaPreps.com, along with others confirmed it.
The 6-foot-3 Mitchell, is considered a four-star point guard, according to Rivals.com. He picked the Demon Deacons over Arizona, Connecticut, Missouri, Illinois, Clemson, and several more schools.
Mitchell ran with the Chris Paul All-Stars on the AAU circuit, as the current Los Angeles Clippers point guard starred at Wake Forest for to seasons. Wake Forest head coach Jeff Bzdelik is getting a floor general in every sense of the world. Mitchell has great size and length for his position. He has strong handles and looks to find open teammate and create easy shots for them. On Friday, he told Arizona.Rivals.com his goal is to get double-digit assists every game.
“Shelton is the hardest working kid I’ve ever coached,” Mitchell’s high school coach Mike Helms told Jacey Zembal. “The kid is back in the gym. He’s texting me, ‘How can I get back in the gym the next day?’ He wants to get in there and get better in all facets of his game, and he has. He has continued to improve and knows there are areas he still needs to improve.”
Mitchell is the first commitment for the Demon Deacons for the 2014 class.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The court will be redesigned by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
There are three: white, black and grey.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Blackwell is a member of the Class of 2016 but is already hearing from some notable programs.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Where have all the NYC Point Gods gone?
Jul 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Brunson is the father of a top 15 recruit and a potential hire for a program in the AAC.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Wichita State is coming off of a Final Four and an undefeated regular season. What happens if they can’t match that success again?
Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s the second time Hill has donated a million to the school
Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Mitchell played as well as anyone in the country this July
Jul 31, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
It’s not that strong, but it could have been much worse.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Walker has spent the last 13 seasons at his alma mater.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
The highly athletic wing is back on the market, but he’s yet to be cleared academically.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
The Bulldogs succeeded in keeping a talented in-state product home.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Mayo’s decision means that Marquette has to replace its top four scorers from last season.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Just over a month after landing a junior college guard, the Rebels have their second commit in the Class of 2015.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
UCLA is holding out hope that John Wooden Court can be salvaged, but if not they’ll have time to replace it.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Larrier is the best recruit that Shaka Smart has landed at VCU.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
After averaging 16.0 points per game as a freshman, the South Plains College guard is looking to become a better lead guard as a sophomore.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
It’s Dayton’s third commitment from the Class of 2015
Jul 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Oregon is now left with just nine scholarship players, only two of whom saw significant minutes last season.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Coggins will be heading back closer to his Southern California home
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)