Jan 4, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
After playing in 17 games as a freshman last season, Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins has decided that he won’t be playing basketball for the Huskies this season.
Seferian-Jenkins finished the 2012 football season with 69 receptions for 852 yards and seven touchdowns.
“I just need to focus on school and get (rested). I don’t feel like I’d be to help the basketball team much right now,” Seferian-Jenkins said in a statement released by the school.
At 6-6, 250 pounds Seferian-Jenkins gave the Huskies another physical body to call on inside last season, averaging 7.2 minutes in the 17 games in which he played.
But as the lone underclassman finalist for the John Mackey Award, which is given annually to the nation’s best tight end, and a second team All-Pac-12 selection this is an important offseason for the sophomore in regards to what he can accomplish on the gridiron.
Washington is in better shape inside now than they were during non-conference play as Shawn Kemp Jr. has played in the last six games after missing the start of the season with a knee injury.
Rebounding’s been a problem for the Huskies all season long, as their defensive rebounding percentage (64.9%) ranks dead last in the Pac-12, and that was going to be a problem even if Seferian-Jenkins were to decide to play.
The Huskies begin Pac-12 play on Saturday night with a visit to rival Washington State.
But for Pac-12 fans who enjoy watching football players on the basketball court don’t get too upset about the news. There’s still Oregon defensive lineman Arik Armstead, who joins the team this weekend, and USC offensive lineman Zach Banner to keep tabs on.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)