Jan 5, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Elite 2013 center Dakari Johnson will announce his college decision tonight on ESPN, Dave Telep of ESPN.com is reporting.
Johnson reclassified to the Class of 2013 from the Class of 2014 this November, fast-tracking his path to college basketball. The 6-10, 250-pound New York native has narrowed his list to Kentucky, Syracuse, and Georgetown.
Syracuse is probably the least likely destination for Johnson, a team that already features DaJuan Coleman and Rakeem Christmas on the interior.
Kentucky has already pulled in the No. 1 recruiting class in the country, a group that includes Andrew and Aaron Harrison, James Young, Marcus Lee, and Derek Willis. The Wildcats are also considered to be toward the top of the list for five-star recruits Andrew Wiggins and Julius Randle.
Georgetown recently got a commitment from UCLA transfer Josh Smith, but could use some size on the interior. This season, the Hoyas are leaning on big man Nate Lubick, being without a major impact player in the middle, one like Roy Hibbert or Greg Monroe.
The program that Johnson chooses will be getting one of the best pure big men in the class. He is strong around the basket and has a good arsenal of moves to score.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)