Jan 5, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
The under-12 minute timeout in the first half of Marquette-Georgetown Saturday afternoon, Marquette led by a score of 5-4. How bad was it? There were flashbacks to Georgetown’s ugly 37-36 win over Tennesse earlier this year.
But for as unsightly as the first half of basketball was Saturday at Bradley Center in Milwaukee, the final three minutes provided some theatrics as Marquette held on for a 49-48 win.
Davante Gardner had 12 points and seven rebounds for Marquette, while Trent Lockett narrowly missed a double-double with nine points and 10 rebounds.
With 0:10 remaining and the Hoyas trailing by one point, 47-46, Jabril Trawick missed a three-pointer that would have put Georgetown ahead. Gardner got the rebound and was fouled, sinking two shots at the line to extend the lead to 49-46 with 0:08 to play.
Georgetown rushed back down the floor and Greg Whittington missed a three-pointer to tie, but was fouled by Lockett. Whittington hit the first two and seemed to be in a rhythm, but Marquette coach Buzz Williams called a timeout to ice him prior to his third attempt.
Whittington missed the third attempt and Lockett grabbed the rebound and was fouled, meaning Marquette remained ahead by one, 49-48.
Here’s where it gets bizarre.
Lockett missed the first free throw and tried to miss the second, but Georgetown was called for a lane violation, though it appeared he pump-faked during his free throw.
He got another attempt, looking again to miss intentionally. The ball grazed the rim, but a referee whistled it dead, thinking that it had not touched the rim. The clock continued to run and ran out as Nate Lubick tried a heave, which was blocked.
The referees ruled that Lockett’s shot had hit the rim and the game was deemed to be over.
Markel Starks finished with 18 points to lead the Hoyas on 7-of-12 shooting.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)