Jan 5, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Game of the Day
Marquette 49, No. 15 Georgetown 48: It was a grind, as a Georgetown game so often can be, but Marquette got two crucial late free throws out of big man Davante Gardner (12 points, 7 rebounds) on their way to a slo-mo upset of G’Town in Milwaukee. Vander Blue also scored 12, and Trent Lockett had a 9 point, 10 rebound game to help secure the win. It was a big win for a team that fell out of the national eye after a loss at unranked Green Bay on December 19th. Markel Starks led the Hoyas with 18 points and seven assists. Better yet, everybody shot at the right basket throughout the game.
No. 11 Illinois 74, No. 8 Ohio State 55: The Illini opened Big Ten play on a low note, dropping a 68-61 decision to the completely unheralded Boilermakers of Purdue. As bounce-back efforts go, this was a good one. Brandon Paul scored 19 and Nnanna Egwu had a 16 point, 8 rebound day to pace Illinois, and impenetrable team defense held the Buckeyes to 33% shooting mark from the floor. DeShaun Thomas managed 24 points on 9-21 shooting, but his frontcourt mates Sam Thompson and Amir Williams combined to hit just 1 of 8.
No. 1 Duke 80, Wake Forest 62: Poor Travis McKie had a great game for Wake Forest (22 points, 11 rebounds, 2 steals and a block), but he faced a team of killers today. Seth Curry and Ryan Kelly each had 22 points, Mason Plumlee and Rasheed Sulaimon also scored in double figures, and Quinn Cook facilitated the rout with 14 assists.
No. 25 Kansas State 73, No. 22 Oklahoma State 67: The two biggest contenders to end Kansas’ streak of Big 12 titles met in an early test match, and MACGRUDER! put the Wildcats on his back. 28 points later, his team had a big early home win in the Octagon of Doom. Marcus Smart and Markel Brown combined for 44 points for the visitors, but LeBryan Nash was held largely in check, notching just six points.
Rutgers 67, No. 24 Pitt 64: Whoever’s driving the Pitt bandwagon might not even need a Class C driver’s license. As soon as a few of us were ready to climb aboard, the Panthers fell to 0-2 in the Big East. Scarlet Knight sophomore Eli Carter had his 12th-straight game in double figures, dropping 23 on the visitors.
Games of the Night
Lehigh at VCU, 6:00 PM, NBC Sports
Murray State at Southeast Missouri State, 6:00 PM, ESPNu
No. 10 Gonzaga at Santa Clara, 8:00 PM ET, ROOT
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)