Jan 5, 2013, 5:19 PM EST
Game of the Day
Marquette 49, No. 15 Georgetown 48: It was a grind, as a Georgetown game so often can be, but Marquette got two crucial late free throws out of big man Davante Gardner (12 points, 7 rebounds) on their way to a slo-mo upset of G’Town in Milwaukee. Vander Blue also scored 12, and Trent Lockett had a 9 point, 10 rebound game to help secure the win. It was a big win for a team that fell out of the national eye after a loss at unranked Green Bay on December 19th. Markel Starks led the Hoyas with 18 points and seven assists. Better yet, everybody shot at the right basket throughout the game.
No. 11 Illinois 74, No. 8 Ohio State 55: The Illini opened Big Ten play on a low note, dropping a 68-61 decision to the completely unheralded Boilermakers of Purdue. As bounce-back efforts go, this was a good one. Brandon Paul scored 19 and Nnanna Egwu had a 16 point, 8 rebound day to pace Illinois, and impenetrable team defense held the Buckeyes to 33% shooting mark from the floor. DeShaun Thomas managed 24 points on 9-21 shooting, but his frontcourt mates Sam Thompson and Amir Williams combined to hit just 1 of 8.
No. 1 Duke 80, Wake Forest 62: Poor Travis McKie had a great game for Wake Forest (22 points, 11 rebounds, 2 steals and a block), but he faced a team of killers today. Seth Curry and Ryan Kelly each had 22 points, Mason Plumlee and Rasheed Sulaimon also scored in double figures, and Quinn Cook facilitated the rout with 14 assists.
No. 25 Kansas State 73, No. 22 Oklahoma State 67: The two biggest contenders to end Kansas’ streak of Big 12 titles met in an early test match, and MACGRUDER! put the Wildcats on his back. 28 points later, his team had a big early home win in the Octagon of Doom. Marcus Smart and Markel Brown combined for 44 points for the visitors, but LeBryan Nash was held largely in check, notching just six points.
Rutgers 67, No. 24 Pitt 64: Whoever’s driving the Pitt bandwagon might not even need a Class C driver’s license. As soon as a few of us were ready to climb aboard, the Panthers fell to 0-2 in the Big East. Scarlet Knight sophomore Eli Carter had his 12th-straight game in double figures, dropping 23 on the visitors.
Games of the Night
Lehigh at VCU, 6:00 PM, NBC Sports
Murray State at Southeast Missouri State, 6:00 PM, ESPNu
No. 10 Gonzaga at Santa Clara, 8:00 PM ET, ROOT
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)