Jan 6, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Brandon Triche continued his recent hot shooting streak Sunday afternoon, going 8-of-13 from the floor for 20 points in a 55-44 Syracuse win on the road over South Florida at the Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla.
The Orange were slow out of the gate, falling behind by as many as 10, 17-7, in the first half, before a 23-6 run vaulted Syracuse ahead with a seven-point halftime lead.
USF was able to pull within five points, 47-42, with 3:44 remaining, but a three-pointer by James Southerland extended the lead to eight. Southerland was key off the bench for the Orange in the second half, finishing with 17 points and eight rebounds.
With Triche and Southerland working in concert, the struggles of guard Michael Carter-Williams were masked Sunday. Carter-Williams shot just 1-of-13 from the floor with five assists and three turnovers. The Bulls’ defense was able to disrupt his rhythm and force him into uncomfortable shots. They also limited his ability to be a distributor, which is often the engine that drives the Syracuse offense.
Jim Boeheim, having passed Bob Knight for second on the all-time Division I men’s coaching wins list, tallied win No. 904 against South Florida.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)