Jan 6, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Brandon Triche continued his recent hot shooting streak Sunday afternoon, going 8-of-13 from the floor for 20 points in a 55-44 Syracuse win on the road over South Florida at the Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla.
The Orange were slow out of the gate, falling behind by as many as 10, 17-7, in the first half, before a 23-6 run vaulted Syracuse ahead with a seven-point halftime lead.
USF was able to pull within five points, 47-42, with 3:44 remaining, but a three-pointer by James Southerland extended the lead to eight. Southerland was key off the bench for the Orange in the second half, finishing with 17 points and eight rebounds.
With Triche and Southerland working in concert, the struggles of guard Michael Carter-Williams were masked Sunday. Carter-Williams shot just 1-of-13 from the floor with five assists and three turnovers. The Bulls’ defense was able to disrupt his rhythm and force him into uncomfortable shots. They also limited his ability to be a distributor, which is often the engine that drives the Syracuse offense.
Jim Boeheim, having passed Bob Knight for second on the all-time Division I men’s coaching wins list, tallied win No. 904 against South Florida.
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional