Jan 6, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
Having recently declared their independence from the Big East but still with a mass of legal entanglements ahead, the Catholic 7 are reportedly moving ahead with plans to lay a financial foundation for their conference by exploring options in the television market.
According to Darren Rovell of ESPN.com, the seven basketball-only schools that formerly belonged to the Big East are working closely with Fox to strike a deal that could be worth as much as $500 million over 12 years. A meeting will reportedly take place Wednesday between the network and a representative of the Catholic 7.
Fox, along with CBS and NBC, is looking to rapidly expand in the sports television market and is launching its own network, Fox Sports 1, in August. That network would be in competition with the CBS Sports Network and NBC Sports Network, all three of which are working to chip away at market leader ESPN.
The proposed deal with Fox would give the Catholic 7 along with the members it eventually adds reportedly close to $5 million per year per school, which would be a significant boost from the $2.5 million annually that the group made as a non-football member of the Big East. New member schools reportedly would make half as much per year.
But roadblocks still remain. Exit fees and timing are still to be worked out, and the conference has not settled on whether it will eventually be comprised of 10 or 12 schools, nor has it formally invited members to fill those vacancies.
To read the entire report, click here.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)