Jan 6, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Florida’s game at Yale this afternoon (5:30 PM on NBC Sports Network) was supposed to be a homecoming of sorts for senior forward Erik Murphy, who grew up 85 miles away from Yale in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.
But bruised ribs suffered in practice on Friday will sideline Murphy for the game, as reported by Chris Harry of Gatorzone.com.
While it’s a disappointing set of circumstances for Murphy (two busloads of family members are attending the game), who entered Sunday averaging 12.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game, with SEC playing beginning on Wednesday against Georgia it’s for the best that he get the rest.
Murphy’s injury moves veteran Will Yeguete into the starting lineup and will open up more minutes for reserve forward Casey Prather.
The Bulldogs have some size inside led by 6-8 Justin Sears and 6-10 Jeremiah Kreisberg, but with Patric Young, Yeguete and Prather the Gators should be fine without Murphy.
According to the report Murphy will undergo X-rays when the team returns to Gainesville, and his status for Wednesday’s SEC opener remains undecided at this point.
Murphy having to sit out a “homecoming” game isn’t the first time it’s happened this season, as UNLV forward Mike Moser didn’t play in the Runnin’ Rebels’ win at Portland earlier this season due to injury.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)