Jan 6, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Florida’s game at Yale this afternoon (5:30 PM on NBC Sports Network) was supposed to be a homecoming of sorts for senior forward Erik Murphy, who grew up 85 miles away from Yale in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.
But bruised ribs suffered in practice on Friday will sideline Murphy for the game, as reported by Chris Harry of Gatorzone.com.
While it’s a disappointing set of circumstances for Murphy (two busloads of family members are attending the game), who entered Sunday averaging 12.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game, with SEC playing beginning on Wednesday against Georgia it’s for the best that he get the rest.
Murphy’s injury moves veteran Will Yeguete into the starting lineup and will open up more minutes for reserve forward Casey Prather.
The Bulldogs have some size inside led by 6-8 Justin Sears and 6-10 Jeremiah Kreisberg, but with Patric Young, Yeguete and Prather the Gators should be fine without Murphy.
According to the report Murphy will undergo X-rays when the team returns to Gainesville, and his status for Wednesday’s SEC opener remains undecided at this point.
Murphy having to sit out a “homecoming” game isn’t the first time it’s happened this season, as UNLV forward Mike Moser didn’t play in the Runnin’ Rebels’ win at Portland earlier this season due to injury.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)