Jan 6, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Florida’s game at Yale this afternoon (5:30 PM on NBC Sports Network) was supposed to be a homecoming of sorts for senior forward Erik Murphy, who grew up 85 miles away from Yale in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.
But bruised ribs suffered in practice on Friday will sideline Murphy for the game, as reported by Chris Harry of Gatorzone.com.
While it’s a disappointing set of circumstances for Murphy (two busloads of family members are attending the game), who entered Sunday averaging 12.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game, with SEC playing beginning on Wednesday against Georgia it’s for the best that he get the rest.
Murphy’s injury moves veteran Will Yeguete into the starting lineup and will open up more minutes for reserve forward Casey Prather.
The Bulldogs have some size inside led by 6-8 Justin Sears and 6-10 Jeremiah Kreisberg, but with Patric Young, Yeguete and Prather the Gators should be fine without Murphy.
According to the report Murphy will undergo X-rays when the team returns to Gainesville, and his status for Wednesday’s SEC opener remains undecided at this point.
Murphy having to sit out a “homecoming” game isn’t the first time it’s happened this season, as UNLV forward Mike Moser didn’t play in the Runnin’ Rebels’ win at Portland earlier this season due to injury.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)