Jan 6, 2013, 4:41 PM EST
Florida’s game at Yale this afternoon (5:30 PM on NBC Sports Network) was supposed to be a homecoming of sorts for senior forward Erik Murphy, who grew up 85 miles away from Yale in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.
But bruised ribs suffered in practice on Friday will sideline Murphy for the game, as reported by Chris Harry of Gatorzone.com.
While it’s a disappointing set of circumstances for Murphy (two busloads of family members are attending the game), who entered Sunday averaging 12.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game, with SEC playing beginning on Wednesday against Georgia it’s for the best that he get the rest.
Murphy’s injury moves veteran Will Yeguete into the starting lineup and will open up more minutes for reserve forward Casey Prather.
The Bulldogs have some size inside led by 6-8 Justin Sears and 6-10 Jeremiah Kreisberg, but with Patric Young, Yeguete and Prather the Gators should be fine without Murphy.
According to the report Murphy will undergo X-rays when the team returns to Gainesville, and his status for Wednesday’s SEC opener remains undecided at this point.
Murphy having to sit out a “homecoming” game isn’t the first time it’s happened this season, as UNLV forward Mike Moser didn’t play in the Runnin’ Rebels’ win at Portland earlier this season due to injury.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (5)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)