Jan 6, 2013, 4:41 PM EST
Florida’s game at Yale this afternoon (5:30 PM on NBC Sports Network) was supposed to be a homecoming of sorts for senior forward Erik Murphy, who grew up 85 miles away from Yale in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.
But bruised ribs suffered in practice on Friday will sideline Murphy for the game, as reported by Chris Harry of Gatorzone.com.
While it’s a disappointing set of circumstances for Murphy (two busloads of family members are attending the game), who entered Sunday averaging 12.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game, with SEC playing beginning on Wednesday against Georgia it’s for the best that he get the rest.
Murphy’s injury moves veteran Will Yeguete into the starting lineup and will open up more minutes for reserve forward Casey Prather.
The Bulldogs have some size inside led by 6-8 Justin Sears and 6-10 Jeremiah Kreisberg, but with Patric Young, Yeguete and Prather the Gators should be fine without Murphy.
According to the report Murphy will undergo X-rays when the team returns to Gainesville, and his status for Wednesday’s SEC opener remains undecided at this point.
Murphy having to sit out a “homecoming” game isn’t the first time it’s happened this season, as UNLV forward Mike Moser didn’t play in the Runnin’ Rebels’ win at Portland earlier this season due to injury.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 3
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)