Jan 7, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
A tough season for Eastern Washington got even tougher on Friday, as their leading scorer Justin Crogile left the team.
Originally reported as a dismissal, it turns out that Crogile a redshirt junior that had transferred to EWU from St. Joseph’s, was simply looking to get closer to home and his three-year old son.
Crosgile [...] cited a “need to be closer to home” for his surprise decision to leave the squad earlier this week.
“It’s been a great experience at Eastern Washington, and I have nothing against the coaches or players here,” Crosgile said in a telephone interview Friday night.
Crosgile said he plans to return to his native New Jersey to be near his mother and his 3-year-old son.
Crosgile had been averaging 14.7 points, 5.5 assists in more than 36 minutes per game, all of which were team-highs. EWU is currently 3-11 on the season and 1-3 in Big Sky play, with that one win coming against fellow bottom-feeder Idaho State.
It’s tough to be on the other side of the country from your family, but doing so while playing losing basketball is just that much more difficult.
(Image via Eastern Washington athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)