Jan 7, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
A tough season for Eastern Washington got even tougher on Friday, as their leading scorer Justin Crogile left the team.
Originally reported as a dismissal, it turns out that Crogile a redshirt junior that had transferred to EWU from St. Joseph’s, was simply looking to get closer to home and his three-year old son.
Crosgile […] cited a “need to be closer to home” for his surprise decision to leave the squad earlier this week.
“It’s been a great experience at Eastern Washington, and I have nothing against the coaches or players here,” Crosgile said in a telephone interview Friday night.
Crosgile said he plans to return to his native New Jersey to be near his mother and his 3-year-old son.
Crosgile had been averaging 14.7 points, 5.5 assists in more than 36 minutes per game, all of which were team-highs. EWU is currently 3-11 on the season and 1-3 in Big Sky play, with that one win coming against fellow bottom-feeder Idaho State.
It’s tough to be on the other side of the country from your family, but doing so while playing losing basketball is just that much more difficult.
(Image via Eastern Washington athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 0
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 7
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 35
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (35)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- R.J. Hunter, No. 14 Georgia State beat No. 3 Baylor in final seconds (VIDEO) (16)