Jan 7, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Just when Tom Herrion thinks this season can’t get any worse. Well, it does. Guard Kelvin Amayo tweeted that he is leaving the team after just three official games.
I want to thank Marshall University for helping me this past year while I was a prop but I will be transferring to another University !!—
KELVIN AMAYO (@KELVINAMAYO) January 07, 2013
Adam Zagoria is reporting Amayo is leaving Marshall apparently over a tiff involving a scholarship.
Amayo enrolled at Marshall last January, but didn’t play in a game until the team’s loss to Kentucky due to academic issues from his time at NIA Prep in New Jersey.
Thundering Herd assistant Dino Presley told SNY.tv that he was leaving to get closer to home. A source also told SNY.tv that Marshall has had 13 players on scholarship since last fall. Division I schools are allotted 13 scholarships for a season.
The 6-4, 210-pound Amayo has listed Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Carolina, Towson, Hofstra and Oregon State, according to the report. He averaged 2.7 points and 1.3 assists in 9.3 minutes per game in three career games in Huntington, W.V.
This was supposed to be a season of success for Herrion. Then the team lost leading scorer DeAndre Kane to a hand injury and there’s no timetable for his return. The Thundering Herd have also lost back-to-back games to Delaware State and most recently got thrashed 94-57 by Ohio. Earlier this season, they took at L to Hofstra. They’re currently 7-8 on the season.
It also doesn’t help that Kareem Canty was declared ineligible for Marshall earlier this season.
This is also an interesting story considering this was a story on the Marshall athletic website on Dec. 30. Amayo was on the official roster for all of two weeks.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4