Jan 7, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
OK folks, before we begin the first Morning Mix of the week, we have a special public service announcement:
If you have any questions you want to submit to the CBT Mailbag, you can submit them to @CBTonNBC all this week.
But we have a lot to get to on the news front. So lets hit the links.
Monday’s Top Games:
6:30 p.m. – No. 20 Notre Dame @ No. 14 Cincinnati
7:00 p.m. – No. 5 Indiana @ Penn State
8:45 p.m. – Northwestern State @ Sam Houston State
Lehigh guard C.J. McCollum to miss 8-10 weeks with broken fifth metatarsal in left foot: This is unquestionably the biggest injury of the season. The No. 2 scorer in the nation will be sidelined for the entire Patriot League regular season, thanks to a foot injury he suffered during the Mountain Hawks 59-55 loss at VCU.
No. 6 Kansas clamps down late to hold off Temple, 69-62: The Jayhawks moved their home court win streak to 30 with the 69-62 victory over the Owls thanks to a staunch defensive effort during the game’s most tenuous stages.
UVA cools Heels, wins ACC opener: The Cavalier’s stuck to their brand of basketball and were able to slow down the North Carolina Tar Heels en route to a 61-52 victory in Charlottesville on Sunday.
Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk showed why he’s the most improved player in the country: The 7-foot Canadian is averaging a team-high 17.1-ppg and has played his best basketball against the Bulldogs’ toughest opposition. Against Santa Clara on Saturday he poured in a career-high 33 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, notching his first double-double of his career against D-I opponents.
Gregory Echenique proves his value in No. 16 Creighton’s win: As much as the Bluejays lean on the talents of Doug McDermott, big-man Gregory Echenique is an extremely important piece to Creighton’s puzzle.
Bizarre finish gives Marquette 49-48 win over No. 15 Georgetown: Greg Whittington had a chance to tie the game by sinking three foul shots with 1.4 seconds remaining. After sinking the first two, Marquette head coach Buzz Williams called a timeout, which promptly iced Whittington, causing him to miss the final attempt. Marquette grabbed the rebound and won the game.
Jim Boeheim laments coaching carousel but doesn’t blame coaches for making moves: We’ll say it again. Jim Boeheim gives the best press conference in the entire country. Following Syracuse’s 55-44 win at South Florida on Sunday, the colorful head coach sounded off on the coaching carousel and conference realignment.
2013 center Dakari Johnson commits to Kentucky, adds to greatest recruiting class ever? the nation’s top center Dakari Johnson (Montverde Academy/New York, N.Y.) announced live on ESPNU following a win over Jabari Parker and Simeon Career Academy that he has committed to Kentucky. Along with the Harrison twins, Marcus Lee, Derek Willis and potentially Andrew Wiggins and/or Julius Randle, this may very be the best recruiting class of all time.
Florida State’s Okaro White executes the perfect in-bounds ally-oop (VIDEO): This is how you execute an in-bounds play. Well, scratch that. This is how you should never defend an in-bounds play.
- Much of Tennessee’s scoring troubles have been linked to the absence of big-man Jerron Maymon, who has been struggling with back issues all season long. But now it gets worse. Maymonn has decided to forgo the season and take a redshirt year. (College Basketball Talk)
- Eastern Washington guard Justin Crosgile has left the team for personal reasons. The New Jersey-native wants to return closer to home so he can be near his 3-year old son. (Big Sky BBall)
- Recruiting guru Evan Daniels believes Andrew Wiggins, the nation’s top recruit, will select Florida State over Kentucky. (Kentucky Sports Radio)
Observations & Insight:
- Michigan State’s Branden Dawson punched Purdue’s Travis Carrol in the midsection. Here is the video. For some odd reason Michigan State and Purdue are acting like it never happened. I don’t think it’s a huge deal, but it most certainly did happen. (The Victory Formation)
- The Kansas Jayhawks gutted out a tough win against Temple thanks in large part to the closing ability of a handful of players. (Need I Say Moore?)
- Run The Floor takes a stab at understanding why North Carolina is struggling so much. (Run The Floor)
- Colorado had a rough four-day trip in Arizona and now sit at 0-2 in Pac-12 play. (The Dagger)
- It’s never too early for some NIT bracketology (Big Apple Buckets)
- Northwestern is not very good, but this is still incredible: Minnesota’s Austin Hollins scored 17 points over a quick stretch of four minutes. That’s ridiculous. (From The Barn)
Dunk(s) of the Day:
Got to 1:15 of this highlight to see the best ally-oop of the season. Once you are done, watch the entire highlight video. It’s wildly entertaining.
Dunk(s) of the Day:
Breusewitz dunk? Yup. Breusewitz dunk.
Dunk(s) of the Day:
This is an amazing dunk. Even better, the team doing the dunking is the Texas A&M-Kingsville Javelinas. Best name in D-II sports.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Former Nevada forward Cole Huff free to transfer to non-Mountain West schools in southern California
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The number of schools that former Nevada forward Cole Huff is prohibited from transferring to has been cut down to 38 following an appeals hearing Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
NCAA tournament participants Cincinnati, Creighton and North Carolina Central part of eight-team field in inaugural Emerald Coast Classic.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
The order of protection filed against former Missouri forward Zach Price by Earnest Ross was thrown out Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
After leading Green Bay to a 24-win season, head coach Brian Wardle’s been rewarded with a new five-year contract.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
Gonzaga’s added a fourth member to its 2014 recruiting class, with the son of Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis making his pledge to join the program.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Former Houston players Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas met with an appeals committee Thursday in hopes of getting released from their respective scholarships.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Rodney Hood is following Jabari Parker to the league.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Is Frank Haith getting out of Missouri before they kick him out?
Apr 17, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kentucky is still waiting to hear from four players on their NBA decision.
Apr 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
UCLA will be a contender in the Pac-12 next season with Jordan Adams returning to school.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
With less than stellar reviews from NBA folks, might the Harrisons be leaning towards a return to Lexington?
Apr 17, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Parker will be a top three pick in the draft.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Jacksons path from Murray State to Southeastern Louisiana is wild.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
Hill wrote a nice note to Marquette fans to thank them.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Five protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church showed up at UMass on Wednesday. 1,500 students rallied in response.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Caris LeVert reiterated his decision to return to Michigan for his junior year at the team’s postseason banquet Wednesday.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
According to a report, New Mexico State center Sim Bhullar will forego his final two seasons of eligibility to turn pro.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
After leading USC in scoring last season, Byron Wesley announced that he’ll be transferring after graduating this summer.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Arizona State’s Jahii Carson made official the news that’s been known since October: he’ll be entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Former Northwestern guard/forward Kale Abrahamson will finish out his career in his home state.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)