Jan 8, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Kentucky may not have put together the kind of non-conference performance that will lock up a No. 1 seed come Selection Sunday.
Quite frankly, the Wildcats are anything but a lock for the NCAA tournament at this point in the season, and given how weak the SEC is this year, Kentucky could be looking at a pretty low seed. In our latest bracket projection, Dave Ommen has Kentucky as an eight seed.
But sometimes, simply looking at wins and losses won’t tell you the whole story.
The Wildcats are getting better, and Ryan Harrow is a major reason why. After being a non-factor for the first month — playing in just four of Kentucky’s eight games and scoring a grand total of six points in that span — Harrow has turned into the kind of floor general that the Wildcats need out there. Over the last five games, the NC State transfer is averaging 15.0 points, 5.6 assists and 2.4 steals while turning the ball over just seven times and shooting 49.2% from the field and 46.7% from three.
“The team trusts him more now,” Kentucky head coach John Calipari said. “He’s spending a lot of time around his teammates. In practice, he’s one of our hardest workers now. He’s got a great attitude. … He’s become that guy that we needed him to be.”
“Leading is not just walking out on the court and barking orders. Leadership is about service, and the only way you can serve others is to be around them. That’s what he’s been able to do, and I’m really proud of how far he’s come. My thing to him was: This is where we – as in I – thought you’d be at the beginning of the year. Now we’ve gotta build on this.”
The growth of this Kentucky team continues to be one of this season’s most intriguing story lines.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)