Jan 8, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
On Monday, the NCAA officially released their first edition on the RPI, which, as it does every year, is sure to stir up quite a bit of debate.
Like, for example, Indiana being 16th. That’s 10 spots behind a Colorado team that is currently 0-2 in the Pac-12, 25 spots in front of Ohio State (who is 41st) and 46 spots in front of Kentucky, who is currently sitting 62nd. Kentucky is actually the No. 3 team in the SEC, according to the RPI. Also worth noting? Miami FL is eighth in the RPI, good for second in the ACC. That’ll help them overcome that injury to Reggie Johnson.
The RPI is, for the most part, a flawed metric that can be exploited by coaches looking to improve their non-conference schedule strength and game the NCAA tournament selection committee. But good luck trying to get it out of the selection process!
Most of us in the know (like moi) tend to use Kenpom’s efficiency ratings when it comes to computer profiles, and earlier today The Dagger took a look at the five teams with the biggest difference in RPI and Kenpom rankings.
With bracket projections coming fast and furious this time of year, it would be a good idea to get yourself familiarized with how the RPI breaks down.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)