Jan 8, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Patsy Sutton, the wife of legendary coach Eddie Sutton, has passed away at the age of 76, multiple news outlets have confirmed.
Sutton had been hospitalized since Dec. 28 after suffering a stroke.
“The Sutton family would like to thank everyone for the prayers and thoughts that have surrounded and been given to us the last days we have been at Saint Francis Hospital,” Steve Sutton, Patsy’s oldest son, wrote in statement released Tuesday.
“We have lost a wonderful and cherished wife, mother, mother-in-law, friend and ‘our honey.’ Thank you again for the outpouring of support you have given our family.”
After marrying Eddie Sutton in 1958, Patsy was the matriarch of perhaps the most prominent basketball family in the state of Oklahoma. Two of her sons, Scott and Sean Sutton, followed in their father’s footsteps and now coach at the Division I level, Scott as the head coach and Sean as an assistant at Oral Roberts.
She was respected among athletes who played under her husband, even becoming the unofficial team counselor at Arkansas.
“I owe everything to coach Sutton and Mrs. Sutton,” former Arkansas Walker said in 1995, as reported by the Tulsa World. “I love Mrs. Sutton. If it hadn’t been for Mrs. Sutton, I don’t know what would have happened to me.”
To read her entire obituary in the Tulsa World, click here.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0