Jan 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Game of the Day: 9:00 p.m.: Pitt at No. 19 Georgetown (ESPNU)
Both Pitt and Georgetown were thought to be top five teams heading into the season, but a week into January, both teams are still winless in league play. For Georgetown, that’s not a huge problem, as their one game in Big East play came at Marquette where they lost by one point when Greg Whittington missed a free throw with 2.3 seconds left.
The Panthers, however, are a different story. They not only lost at home to Cincinnati, but they followed that up by dropping a roadie at Rutgers. Coming off of a season where they won just five Big East games, and after a non-conference schedule where they beat a steaming pile of mid-major dreck, Jamie Dixon’s club is in desperate need of a victory to hang their hat on.
And, quite frankly, the Hoyas are in the same boat. They are currently riding on taking Indiana to overtime, beating UCLA in Shabazz’s first game and (hideous) wins over Texas and Tennessee.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 9:00 p.m.: No. 15 Ohio State at Purdue (ESPN)
The road is not a friendly place to be in the Big Ten. Ohio State knows; they got poleaxed by Illinois in Champaign. Purdue knows, too; they beat that same Illinois team in West Lafayette. The Big Ten will be won by the team that can win their road games, and I’m simply not convinced that the Buckeyes are good enough to do that. But where they do have an advantage is that Purdue is going to have a tough time matching up with Deshaun Thomas defensively.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 7:00 p.m.: Vermont at Boston U.
Vermont is at the top of the America East standings, and by the end of the season they will likely be joined there by Stony Brook. But BU is one of the most storied programs in that conference, and in recent years, this matchup has been one of the best of the year in that league. Throw in the fact that it’s the last time the Catamounts will be visiting the Terriers (who are leaving the conference next year), and this should end up being an entertaining game.
1. It’s tough to have a must-win game in early January, but that is certainly the case for Alabama tonight at No. 10 Missouri (7:00 p.m.). The Tide are 8-5 with losses to Dayton, Mercer and Tulane. And in a very weak SEC, they only get Missouri, Kentucky and Florida once.
2. There may not be a more disappointing team in the country than Drexel, even when you factor in the injury to Chris Fouch. This was a borderline top 25 team heading into the season. They host a promising Northeastern team — who is 2-0 in the CAA — tonight.
3. Missouri State was horrid in non-conference play, going 2-11 and losing to Alabama A&M with both wins coming against non-Division I opponents. Of course, once MVC play started, the Bears won two of their first three games, with the loss coming to Evansville in overtime. And since the MVC makes so much sense all the time, Illinois State — who most believed was the second or third best team in the conference — has started off 0-3. MSU takes on ISU at 8:05 p.m. tonight.
4. Baylor looks to get their second Big 12 win of the season against Texas Tech.
5. Lehigh will play their first game since CJ McCollum’s injury, hosting Muhlenberg tonight.
Other Top 25 Games
- 7:00 p.m.: Clemson at No. 1 Duke (ESPNU)
- 8:05 p.m.: Drake at No. 13 Creighton (ESPN3)
Other Notable Games
- 7:00 p.m.: DePaul at UConn (ESPN3)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)