Jan 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Game of the Day: 9:00 p.m.: Pitt at No. 19 Georgetown (ESPNU)
Both Pitt and Georgetown were thought to be top five teams heading into the season, but a week into January, both teams are still winless in league play. For Georgetown, that’s not a huge problem, as their one game in Big East play came at Marquette where they lost by one point when Greg Whittington missed a free throw with 2.3 seconds left.
The Panthers, however, are a different story. They not only lost at home to Cincinnati, but they followed that up by dropping a roadie at Rutgers. Coming off of a season where they won just five Big East games, and after a non-conference schedule where they beat a steaming pile of mid-major dreck, Jamie Dixon’s club is in desperate need of a victory to hang their hat on.
And, quite frankly, the Hoyas are in the same boat. They are currently riding on taking Indiana to overtime, beating UCLA in Shabazz’s first game and (hideous) wins over Texas and Tennessee.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 9:00 p.m.: No. 15 Ohio State at Purdue (ESPN)
The road is not a friendly place to be in the Big Ten. Ohio State knows; they got poleaxed by Illinois in Champaign. Purdue knows, too; they beat that same Illinois team in West Lafayette. The Big Ten will be won by the team that can win their road games, and I’m simply not convinced that the Buckeyes are good enough to do that. But where they do have an advantage is that Purdue is going to have a tough time matching up with Deshaun Thomas defensively.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 7:00 p.m.: Vermont at Boston U.
Vermont is at the top of the America East standings, and by the end of the season they will likely be joined there by Stony Brook. But BU is one of the most storied programs in that conference, and in recent years, this matchup has been one of the best of the year in that league. Throw in the fact that it’s the last time the Catamounts will be visiting the Terriers (who are leaving the conference next year), and this should end up being an entertaining game.
1. It’s tough to have a must-win game in early January, but that is certainly the case for Alabama tonight at No. 10 Missouri (7:00 p.m.). The Tide are 8-5 with losses to Dayton, Mercer and Tulane. And in a very weak SEC, they only get Missouri, Kentucky and Florida once.
2. There may not be a more disappointing team in the country than Drexel, even when you factor in the injury to Chris Fouch. This was a borderline top 25 team heading into the season. They host a promising Northeastern team — who is 2-0 in the CAA — tonight.
3. Missouri State was horrid in non-conference play, going 2-11 and losing to Alabama A&M with both wins coming against non-Division I opponents. Of course, once MVC play started, the Bears won two of their first three games, with the loss coming to Evansville in overtime. And since the MVC makes so much sense all the time, Illinois State — who most believed was the second or third best team in the conference — has started off 0-3. MSU takes on ISU at 8:05 p.m. tonight.
4. Baylor looks to get their second Big 12 win of the season against Texas Tech.
5. Lehigh will play their first game since CJ McCollum’s injury, hosting Muhlenberg tonight.
Other Top 25 Games
- 7:00 p.m.: Clemson at No. 1 Duke (ESPNU)
- 8:05 p.m.: Drake at No. 13 Creighton (ESPN3)
Other Notable Games
- 7:00 p.m.: DePaul at UConn (ESPN3)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
This scandal will be a stain on North Carolina’s sports and academic programs for a long time.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
This is about as embarrassing as being POSTERIZED can get.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
The Shockers went to the Final Four in 2013 and undefeated in 2014. What is next for them?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Cody Larson was South Dakotas Next Big Thing. He returned in infamy, but that has not stopped him from succeeding.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Wisconsin held its third annual “Shooting Down Cancer” event Wednesday, with their goal being to #MakeBoPay.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT
Austin Nichols is the reigning American Athletic Conference ROY, and sophomore Avery Woodson is expected to compete for minutes in a crowded by inexperienced backcourt.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Cezar Guerrero knocked down five straight from half-court during the team’s Red and White Hoops Night event Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Oregon didn’t have much depth to begin with due to various personnel issues, so Michael Chandler’s lingering knee problem is a major concern.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
People don’t come more intense than Bruce Pearl.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Given SMU’s depth on the perimeter, LaGerald Vick’s decision to move back in classes will help both parties in the future.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
College basketball will have plenty of impact freshmen this season. Here’s a look at some that could step in and contribute right away.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
The Longhorns are the first school in the country to do this.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
The Cardinal now have three four-star recruits in the Class of 2015.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Wednesday’s report is much more damning than either of the previous two that have been released.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
There is one big name that wasn’t named to the preseason first team.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The top half of the Summit League will be a tight race all season long.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The Big East coaches love Villanova, but are they sleeping on Marquette?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
ULM has some off-the-court issues to address with the season looming.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Fun fact about Shaka Smart: He has still never won a conference regular season title.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Stanford’s back court depth took a hit this week.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)