Jan 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Game of the Day: 9:00 p.m.: Pitt at No. 19 Georgetown (ESPNU)
Both Pitt and Georgetown were thought to be top five teams heading into the season, but a week into January, both teams are still winless in league play. For Georgetown, that’s not a huge problem, as their one game in Big East play came at Marquette where they lost by one point when Greg Whittington missed a free throw with 2.3 seconds left.
The Panthers, however, are a different story. They not only lost at home to Cincinnati, but they followed that up by dropping a roadie at Rutgers. Coming off of a season where they won just five Big East games, and after a non-conference schedule where they beat a steaming pile of mid-major dreck, Jamie Dixon’s club is in desperate need of a victory to hang their hat on.
And, quite frankly, the Hoyas are in the same boat. They are currently riding on taking Indiana to overtime, beating UCLA in Shabazz’s first game and (hideous) wins over Texas and Tennessee.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 9:00 p.m.: No. 15 Ohio State at Purdue (ESPN)
The road is not a friendly place to be in the Big Ten. Ohio State knows; they got poleaxed by Illinois in Champaign. Purdue knows, too; they beat that same Illinois team in West Lafayette. The Big Ten will be won by the team that can win their road games, and I’m simply not convinced that the Buckeyes are good enough to do that. But where they do have an advantage is that Purdue is going to have a tough time matching up with Deshaun Thomas defensively.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 7:00 p.m.: Vermont at Boston U.
Vermont is at the top of the America East standings, and by the end of the season they will likely be joined there by Stony Brook. But BU is one of the most storied programs in that conference, and in recent years, this matchup has been one of the best of the year in that league. Throw in the fact that it’s the last time the Catamounts will be visiting the Terriers (who are leaving the conference next year), and this should end up being an entertaining game.
1. It’s tough to have a must-win game in early January, but that is certainly the case for Alabama tonight at No. 10 Missouri (7:00 p.m.). The Tide are 8-5 with losses to Dayton, Mercer and Tulane. And in a very weak SEC, they only get Missouri, Kentucky and Florida once.
2. There may not be a more disappointing team in the country than Drexel, even when you factor in the injury to Chris Fouch. This was a borderline top 25 team heading into the season. They host a promising Northeastern team — who is 2-0 in the CAA — tonight.
3. Missouri State was horrid in non-conference play, going 2-11 and losing to Alabama A&M with both wins coming against non-Division I opponents. Of course, once MVC play started, the Bears won two of their first three games, with the loss coming to Evansville in overtime. And since the MVC makes so much sense all the time, Illinois State — who most believed was the second or third best team in the conference — has started off 0-3. MSU takes on ISU at 8:05 p.m. tonight.
4. Baylor looks to get their second Big 12 win of the season against Texas Tech.
5. Lehigh will play their first game since CJ McCollum’s injury, hosting Muhlenberg tonight.
Other Top 25 Games
- 7:00 p.m.: Clemson at No. 1 Duke (ESPNU)
- 8:05 p.m.: Drake at No. 13 Creighton (ESPN3)
Other Notable Games
- 7:00 p.m.: DePaul at UConn (ESPN3)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
St. John’s received some big news this week as sophomore center Chris Obekpa decided to stay in New York.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Kentucky freshman forward Marcus Lee will return to Lexington for his sophomore season.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
After leading Georgia State to 25 wins and a Sun Belt regular season title, Ron Hunter has been rewarded with a contract extension.
Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
With Steve Wojciechowski accepting the head coaching position at Marquette, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski announced how he would account for that departure Friday.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Tulsa has officially hired Frank Haith to be its new basketball coach.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Arizona State announced Friday that guard Shaquielle McKissic has been granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Duke’s Rodney Hood made the news official Friday, announcing that he’ll be entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 0
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)