Jan 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Game of the Day: 9:00 p.m.: Pitt at No. 19 Georgetown (ESPNU)
Both Pitt and Georgetown were thought to be top five teams heading into the season, but a week into January, both teams are still winless in league play. For Georgetown, that’s not a huge problem, as their one game in Big East play came at Marquette where they lost by one point when Greg Whittington missed a free throw with 2.3 seconds left.
The Panthers, however, are a different story. They not only lost at home to Cincinnati, but they followed that up by dropping a roadie at Rutgers. Coming off of a season where they won just five Big East games, and after a non-conference schedule where they beat a steaming pile of mid-major dreck, Jamie Dixon’s club is in desperate need of a victory to hang their hat on.
And, quite frankly, the Hoyas are in the same boat. They are currently riding on taking Indiana to overtime, beating UCLA in Shabazz’s first game and (hideous) wins over Texas and Tennessee.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 9:00 p.m.: No. 15 Ohio State at Purdue (ESPN)
The road is not a friendly place to be in the Big Ten. Ohio State knows; they got poleaxed by Illinois in Champaign. Purdue knows, too; they beat that same Illinois team in West Lafayette. The Big Ten will be won by the team that can win their road games, and I’m simply not convinced that the Buckeyes are good enough to do that. But where they do have an advantage is that Purdue is going to have a tough time matching up with Deshaun Thomas defensively.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 7:00 p.m.: Vermont at Boston U.
Vermont is at the top of the America East standings, and by the end of the season they will likely be joined there by Stony Brook. But BU is one of the most storied programs in that conference, and in recent years, this matchup has been one of the best of the year in that league. Throw in the fact that it’s the last time the Catamounts will be visiting the Terriers (who are leaving the conference next year), and this should end up being an entertaining game.
1. It’s tough to have a must-win game in early January, but that is certainly the case for Alabama tonight at No. 10 Missouri (7:00 p.m.). The Tide are 8-5 with losses to Dayton, Mercer and Tulane. And in a very weak SEC, they only get Missouri, Kentucky and Florida once.
2. There may not be a more disappointing team in the country than Drexel, even when you factor in the injury to Chris Fouch. This was a borderline top 25 team heading into the season. They host a promising Northeastern team — who is 2-0 in the CAA — tonight.
3. Missouri State was horrid in non-conference play, going 2-11 and losing to Alabama A&M with both wins coming against non-Division I opponents. Of course, once MVC play started, the Bears won two of their first three games, with the loss coming to Evansville in overtime. And since the MVC makes so much sense all the time, Illinois State — who most believed was the second or third best team in the conference — has started off 0-3. MSU takes on ISU at 8:05 p.m. tonight.
4. Baylor looks to get their second Big 12 win of the season against Texas Tech.
5. Lehigh will play their first game since CJ McCollum’s injury, hosting Muhlenberg tonight.
Other Top 25 Games
- 7:00 p.m.: Clemson at No. 1 Duke (ESPNU)
- 8:05 p.m.: Drake at No. 13 Creighton (ESPN3)
Other Notable Games
- 7:00 p.m.: DePaul at UConn (ESPN3)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
2015 guard Eric Davis had a strong summer and is one of the better guards in the country.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Louisville is updating its floor with the move to the ACC.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Auburn made a recruiting move on Friday night with the addition of Danjel Purifoy.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Missouri has a fair amount of quality teams on its non-conference schedule.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
An Oregon State incoming guard is improving in the hospital after collapsing earlier in the week.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
College Basketball Talk’s recruiting column explores the week’s topics.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Dominic Woodson is now officially a Tennessee Volunteer.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Aaron Brown averaged 9.9 points per game and shot 39 percent from three last season, and he’ll be eligible to play immediately.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Having stated their intention of appealing the ruling in the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit, the NCAA filed a notice of appeal on Thursday.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Five-star center Tyler Davis becomes Texas A&M’s first commitment, and he’s an important addition for Billy Kennedy.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Austin Hatch, who saw his first action in a Michigan uniform on Saturday, discussed his return to the court on The Today Show.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Upon completion, Hinkle Fieldhouse will have a brand new look while preserving the building’s storied past.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
The conference tournament will now span five days, with there being a doubleheader on Wednesday, March 11 (11 seed vs. 14 seed, 12 seed vs. 13 seed).
Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
More than two months after his older brother left the football program, Mickey Mitchell has decided to decommit from Ohio State.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
6-foot-7 forward Kevin Puryear was a point forward for his high school team last season.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t thrilled with Creighton filing an application to trademark its logo, which was unveiled last September.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Rick Barnes entered last season on nearly every pundit’s “hot seat” rankings, only to turn things around and win 24 games.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis is currently focused on winning a LLWS title, but down the line she really wants to run the point at UConn.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)