Jan 8, 2013, 9:44 PM EDT
Duke forward Ryan Kelly was injured in the first half of the Blue Devils’ 68-40 win over Clemson Tuesday night and will undergo a CAT scan and x-ray tomorrow to see the extent of the injury, Laura Keeley of the Raleigh News & Observer is reporting.
Kelly injured the same foot last season, a setback that kept him out of games in the ACC and NCAA tournaments.
One of the major questions for the Blue Devils, despite being the No. 1 team in the country, is their depth. If Kelly misses any significant stretch of time, it could further thin out the bench. With No. 20 NC State on the horizon Saturday, results of Wednesday’s tests could significantly change the Duke gameplan.
In the event of Kelly’s absence, freshman Amile Jefferson and others on the Duke bench could see more playing time. Kelly has consistently been a forward who can draw defenses away from the basket, which opens up opportunities down low for big man Mason Plumlee.
Kelly played well in the first half against Clemson before injuring his foot, scoring 12 points on 4-of-9 shooting, including 2-of-2 from three-point range. He also added six rebounds.
Duke went on to dominate Tuesday night in Kelly’s absence, with point guard Quinn Cook bearing the majority of the offensive load. Cook finished with a career-high 27 points on 12-of-16 shooting from the floor.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)