Jan 8, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Wyoming coach Larry Shyatt announced Dec. 31 that senior Luke Martinez would be out indefinitely after breaking his hand in an off-campus incident.
Now, according to a police account reported by the Casper Star Tribune, it has been revealed that Martinez was involved in a bar fight in Laramie that resulted in a broken right ring finger. The injury has already kept him out of one game, a 59-56 Wyoming win over Southern Methodist on Jan. 2.
Details of the incident are scarce and Martinez’s role in the fight is unknown.
According to the report, though, Martinez stayed behind at the scene when others fled and talked to police investigating the scene. No charges have reportedly been filed stemming from the fight and no arrests have been made.
Shyatt declined to give many details to the paper, either. He reportedly declined to comment on whether Martinez was injured in the incident or if local authorities were involved.
“I can’t say,” Shyatt told the paper. “I can’t say, nor am I comfortable saying. Because I absolutely don’t have any more details.”
Prior to the injury, Martinez was the second-leading scorer on the undefeated Cowboys team with 14.5 points per game. Wyoming is one of just four schools that remain undefeated, though it has still yet to break into the nation’s Top 25.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (15)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)