Jan 8, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Wyoming coach Larry Shyatt announced Dec. 31 that senior Luke Martinez would be out indefinitely after breaking his hand in an off-campus incident.
Now, according to a police account reported by the Casper Star Tribune, it has been revealed that Martinez was involved in a bar fight in Laramie that resulted in a broken right ring finger. The injury has already kept him out of one game, a 59-56 Wyoming win over Southern Methodist on Jan. 2.
Details of the incident are scarce and Martinez’s role in the fight is unknown.
According to the report, though, Martinez stayed behind at the scene when others fled and talked to police investigating the scene. No charges have reportedly been filed stemming from the fight and no arrests have been made.
Shyatt declined to give many details to the paper, either. He reportedly declined to comment on whether Martinez was injured in the incident or if local authorities were involved.
“I can’t say,” Shyatt told the paper. “I can’t say, nor am I comfortable saying. Because I absolutely don’t have any more details.”
Prior to the injury, Martinez was the second-leading scorer on the undefeated Cowboys team with 14.5 points per game. Wyoming is one of just four schools that remain undefeated, though it has still yet to break into the nation’s Top 25.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A three-star commit on Friday night, a top-70 pledge on Saturday morning. This has been a big weekend for first-year head coach Mike Rhoades.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A story from Syracuse.com says the first-year big man does up to 500 pushups daily.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is Danny Manning’s third commitment this month, first in the Class of 2016.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Davidson is gone, but that does not mean that the SoCon will be a bad basketball league.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Only three programs remain in contention for the nation’s top rated point guard.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Pretty good dunk, but still not better than Chris Mack’s entrance.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame coach makes his first comments, several days after Kenneth Wainstein released his report.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One of the nation’s highly-touted bigs is closer to making a decision after eliminating two programs from his list.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Villanova went 29-5 last season and return essentially the same lineup. Why aren’t more people talking about them?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Texas now has two four-star commitments, with Kerwin Roach joining Eric Davis on Friday.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)