Jan 8, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Wyoming coach Larry Shyatt announced Dec. 31 that senior Luke Martinez would be out indefinitely after breaking his hand in an off-campus incident.
Now, according to a police account reported by the Casper Star Tribune, it has been revealed that Martinez was involved in a bar fight in Laramie that resulted in a broken right ring finger. The injury has already kept him out of one game, a 59-56 Wyoming win over Southern Methodist on Jan. 2.
Details of the incident are scarce and Martinez’s role in the fight is unknown.
According to the report, though, Martinez stayed behind at the scene when others fled and talked to police investigating the scene. No charges have reportedly been filed stemming from the fight and no arrests have been made.
Shyatt declined to give many details to the paper, either. He reportedly declined to comment on whether Martinez was injured in the incident or if local authorities were involved.
“I can’t say,” Shyatt told the paper. “I can’t say, nor am I comfortable saying. Because I absolutely don’t have any more details.”
Prior to the injury, Martinez was the second-leading scorer on the undefeated Cowboys team with 14.5 points per game. Wyoming is one of just four schools that remain undefeated, though it has still yet to break into the nation’s Top 25.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:04 AM EST
This is the first win that the American has landed over a ranked team.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:00 AM EST
Dawson’s injury occurred on the same night that freshman Javon Bess made his regular season debut for the Spartans.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:33 PM EST
Copes played in just four games this season due to injury.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:07 PM EST
The best part is that it was very much intentional
Dec 17, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Delaware State’s Amere May scored more points than anyone in college basketball has this season.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:19 PM EST
With Lavon Long and Brett Bisping now sidelined, the Saints are without their two best rebounders.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
Defense and turnovers will be the keys for Texas when Big 12 play begins.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
After shooting 40.7% from the field and 29.4% from three as a sophomore, Anderson’s off to a hot start for the sixth-ranked Cavaliers.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:26 PM EST
With these dismissals Dayton has no eligible players taller than 6-foot-6.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
This may be the most interesting night of hoops this week.
Dec 17, 2014, 3:44 PM EST
What changes will Kansas make to get better by March?
Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
They are so short-handed that even the head coach is participating in practices.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Treadwell was accused of assaulting a member of the women’s team.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell broke his right hand in a win over DePaul.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:16 AM EST
The Shockers miss Cleanthony Early, but how much will this hurt them in the long-term?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
This is one of the most surprising posterizeds we’ve seen this year.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Michigan State lost a lot of talent and experience from a title contender last season, but they’ve remained a top 25 team thanks to tremendous three-point shooting.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Who doesn’t love buzzer-beaters, especially when they’re from half court?
Dec 17, 2014, 12:58 AM EST
That’s one heartbreaking way to lose a game.
Late Night Snacks: Wichita State mounts furious comeback on Alabama, Myles Turner has big night for Texas
Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Myles Turner has a monster night.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)