Jan 9, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
Behind 22 points on 8-of-13 shooting from Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State bounced back from a loss over the weekend to beat Purdue on the road, 74-64, at Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Ind.
After a 19-point loss at the hands of No. 11 Illinois on Saturday, the Buckeyes came out Tuesday with more energy, outrebounding Purdue 36-27 and shooting 56 percent from the floor. Thomas, having been nearly the only offensive option in the loss to Illinois, got offensive support Tuesday from Aaron Craft, Sam Thompson, and Evan Ravenel.
Ravenel’s 13 points on 6-of-8 shooting is a major improvement over his performance against Illinois, when he took just two shots.
Credit goes to Ohio State for getting a road win, the first of the many Big Ten contenders to get a notable win on the road in conference play. We know the Big Ten is going to likely be the toughest league in the country in 2012-13, so a win over a solid middle-of-the-pack team will add cushion to a tournament resume.
Looking forward, the Buckeyes have a few days off before heading back home to face the high-powered offense of No. 2 Michigan in Columbus. Against National Player of the Year candidate Trey Burke, Aaron Craft will find his toughest one-on-one matchup yet. The battle between Deshaun Thomas and Glenn Robinson III will also be one to keep an eye on.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights