Jan 9, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Illinois State’s season has turned into Dan Muller’s worst nightmare.
After a promising 9-3 start to the season that had some speculating whether or not the Redbirds would be a sleeper for the Missouri Valley title, Illinois State lost their first four games in league play. That was capped off by a Tuesday night loss to a Missouri State team that has exactly zero Division I wins outside of the Valley.
And to make matters worse, Muller suspended second-leading scorer Tyler Brown indefinitely on Wednesday evening.
“Tyler has been suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team,” Illinois State coach Dan Muller said in a statement. “We have standards for our program, and Tyler has violated those standards.”
Brown has started all 16 games and averaged 15.3 points, 3.2 boards and 2.4 assists. The loss is a major blow, especially if he’s going to be sidelined for an extended period of time.
Illinois State hosts Drake, who is also looking for their first MVC win, on Saturday. They will play at No. 23 Wichita State next week.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)