Jan 9, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Illinois State’s season has turned into Dan Muller’s worst nightmare.
After a promising 9-3 start to the season that had some speculating whether or not the Redbirds would be a sleeper for the Missouri Valley title, Illinois State lost their first four games in league play. That was capped off by a Tuesday night loss to a Missouri State team that has exactly zero Division I wins outside of the Valley.
And to make matters worse, Muller suspended second-leading scorer Tyler Brown indefinitely on Wednesday evening.
“Tyler has been suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team,” Illinois State coach Dan Muller said in a statement. “We have standards for our program, and Tyler has violated those standards.”
Brown has started all 16 games and averaged 15.3 points, 3.2 boards and 2.4 assists. The loss is a major blow, especially if he’s going to be sidelined for an extended period of time.
Illinois State hosts Drake, who is also looking for their first MVC win, on Saturday. They will play at No. 23 Wichita State next week.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)