Jan 9, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
You have to feel bad for the way that Jon Horford’s career has played out at Michigan thus far.
Horford was thought to have a chance to be a breakout player for the Wolverines last season, but a broken bone in his foot forced him into a medical redshirt.
Then this season, after watching Jordan Morgan thrive last year and Mitch McGary join the rotation this season, Horford dislocated his kneecap when Michigan was in New York for the Preseason NIT. And while he’s only missed four games, Michigan has taken that opportunity to turn themselves into one of the nation’s most impressive teams, if not the most impressive.
According to a report from MLive.com, Horford could return as early as Wednesday night for Michigan:
“He practiced (Monday) and he’s going to practice (Tuesday),” Michigan coach John Beilein said Tuesday. “He’ll practice full-court, and we’ll see.
“He could (possibly) be (available for Nebraska on Wednesday).”
The 6-foot-10, 250-pound sophomore suffered a dislocated left kneecap during a win over West Virginia last month in Brooklyn, N.Y. He was in uniform for the first time since the injury Sunday when the Wolverines beat Iowa at home.
Though Horford didn’t play, he took part in the team’s warmups, wearing a large knee brace the whole time.
Here’s the frustrating part: Michigan has established that they are at their best when Glenn Robinson III is playing the four. Their front court rotation? Morgan and McGary — who has been playing much better as of late, sparking a run at the end of the first half against Iowa — splitting minutes. Beilein doesn’t need Horford. He’s a body. An insurance policy.
What would have happened had he stayed healthy?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)