Jan 9, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
You have to feel bad for the way that Jon Horford’s career has played out at Michigan thus far.
Horford was thought to have a chance to be a breakout player for the Wolverines last season, but a broken bone in his foot forced him into a medical redshirt.
Then this season, after watching Jordan Morgan thrive last year and Mitch McGary join the rotation this season, Horford dislocated his kneecap when Michigan was in New York for the Preseason NIT. And while he’s only missed four games, Michigan has taken that opportunity to turn themselves into one of the nation’s most impressive teams, if not the most impressive.
According to a report from MLive.com, Horford could return as early as Wednesday night for Michigan:
“He practiced (Monday) and he’s going to practice (Tuesday),” Michigan coach John Beilein said Tuesday. “He’ll practice full-court, and we’ll see.
“He could (possibly) be (available for Nebraska on Wednesday).”
The 6-foot-10, 250-pound sophomore suffered a dislocated left kneecap during a win over West Virginia last month in Brooklyn, N.Y. He was in uniform for the first time since the injury Sunday when the Wolverines beat Iowa at home.
Though Horford didn’t play, he took part in the team’s warmups, wearing a large knee brace the whole time.
Here’s the frustrating part: Michigan has established that they are at their best when Glenn Robinson III is playing the four. Their front court rotation? Morgan and McGary — who has been playing much better as of late, sparking a run at the end of the first half against Iowa — splitting minutes. Beilein doesn’t need Horford. He’s a body. An insurance policy.
What would have happened had he stayed healthy?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
Without Jordan McLaughlin, USC will have to rely on Julian Jacobs at the point in their final two regular season games.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
In addition to a ruptured plantar fascia suffered in a loss to Florida in late-January, Ricky Tarrant also needs to undergo a procedure on his left knee.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Boeheim doesn’t seem pleased about the ruling.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
This borders on criminal.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:37 PM EST
There aren’t many surprises here.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
SMU will also be making a trip to visit Memphis.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:58 AM EST
This is incredible.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
These are more understated than recent adidas uniforms.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:43 AM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:26 AM EST
Chris Jones was dismissed from the team on Sunday.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:38 AM EST
And No. 2 Virginia limited Wake Forest to 21.8% shooting without two starters.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
The Duke defense is the biggest red flag on any true contender.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST
Scott Drew’s Bears went on an 18-4 second half run to take control of the game, hitting six three-pointers.
Feb 25, 2015, 9:57 PM EST
Here are Wednesday’s bubble winners and losers.
Feb 25, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby also notes that the conference is having conversations regarding possible protocols for situations in which fans rush the court.
Feb 25, 2015, 6:14 PM EST
The CBI becomes the second postseason event to announce that it will use a 30-second shot clock this spring.
Feb 25, 2015, 5:02 PM EST
The shirts are cool, but just as important is getting enough fans in seats to make a difference against Florida State.
Feb 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
This loss is a massive blow to Wisconsin’s chances of getting a No. 1 seed.
Feb 25, 2015, 2:06 PM EST
Currie discusses what went wrong on Monday night.
Feb 25, 2015, 1:23 PM EST
Is Iowa State the favorite to win the Big 12 now?
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)