Jan 9, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
There have been a couple updates in the past two days in regards to the status of the Catholic 7, the group of seven non-football playing members of the Big East that broke off from the league last month.
First and foremost, from Pete Thamel of SI.com, it appears as if VCU has become a serious candidate to be added to the conference, along with Xavier and Butler:
Sources say that talk about VCU for that spot has intensified the past few weeks, although it’s not clear how strongly VCU is being considered. VCU does not fit the template of private and religious schools. But there’s been discussion that it could be foolish to ignore VCU’s basketball success for the past decade, modern facilities and rabid fan base.
Thamel also provides some information in that report regarding a potential television contract between the new conference and FOX. A couple of notes: the league is looking for a 12-year deal worth around $3 million per school, and they are meeting today to discuss it. That’s roughly the same figure that Darren Rovell reported that the league was looking for over the weekend.
Meanwhile, Dennis Dodd reported earlier this week that the Big East, back before the Cathlolic 7 announced their split, asked for $300 million annually from ESPN. Their broadcast rights were reportedly valued around $60-$80 million a year.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Here is everything you need to know from Friday night hoops.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Florida nearly coughed up another win on Friday.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
Like the rest of the 2011 recruiting class, Jonathan Holmes could have left Texas. Instead he made the decision to stay, and he and the Longhorns are better because of it.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:17 PM EST
Justin Anderson led all scorers with 18.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
Syracuse is in this position because Tyler Ennis turned out to be better than anyone expected.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Isaiah Taylor injured his left wrist on a hard fall with just over two minutes remaining in Texas’ win over Iowa Thursday night.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:52 PM EST
The Mountaineers and Huskies will meet on Sunday.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
Kansas hosts Rider on Monday night.
Clemson gets technical foul for calling a timeout it doesn’t have, coughs up game to Gardner Webb (VIDEO)
Nov 21, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
This has been a disastrous week for the Tigers.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
UConn will play the winner of Boston College-West Virginia.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Let’s just say that we aren’t too fond of the current shot clock or the rules regarding hanging on the rim.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
Mississippi State’s taken steps forward when it comes to improving the depth and talent in their program.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Arizona’s interior depth, Oklahoma gets rolling, another Memphis recruit reclassifies
Nov 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
News and notes on the world of college basketball recruiting.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Two of the four writers picked Indiana as a team that can surprise people in the Big Ten.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:02 PM EST
Less than a week after TaShawn Thomas was cleared to play, Danuel House received the good news regarding his waiver request.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
Cullen Neal leads the Lobos in scoring and is second in assists, so this is a big loss.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Also of note is George Washington’s trip to Charlottesville, and Dayton facing UConn in Puerto Rico.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:52 AM EST
Both Miami (2007) and Minnesota (2010) have won the event in the past.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:39 AM EST
There was also a double-overtime game in Charleston, and a buzzer-beating tip-in in Puerto Rico.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
One impressive stretch of perimeter shooting may stand out, but Cal’s execution against the Syracuse zone was good for most of the night.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)