Jan 9, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Duke forward Ryan Kelly will be out at least two weeks after sustaining a foot injury in the Blue Devils’ blowout victory over Clemson on Tuesday at Cameron Indoor, the school announced in a statement.
Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com is reporting that Kelly aggravated the same injury he suffered last season. The team reportedly optimistic that he could miss as little as two weeks, but the timetable for his return is likely closer to four weeks.
The injury is to his right foot, the same foot that he sprained last season, which subsequently forced him to miss the ACC and NCAA tournaments. He had surgery on the foot in late March 2012.
According to the Raleigh News & Observer, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is unsure exactly when Kelly injured the foot, other than that it happened during the first half of the win over Clemson and it forced Kelly to miss the entire second half.
“We’re hopeful that it’s not real serious,” Krzyzewski told the paper. “But for precautionary reasons, we felt that it wasn’t good to play him in the second half.”
If Kelly is to miss a significant amount of time, if would mean a big blow to the No. 1 Blue Devils, who are one of just four remaining teams with an undefeated record. As Duke remembers from the time Kelly sat out last season, his ability to space the floor and draw defenders away from the basket is key to the flow of the overall offense.
He is the team’s second-leading scorer with 13.4 points per game and is also the team’s second-leading rebounder with 5.4 rebounds per game. He was named the ACC Player of the Week on Monday.
In his place, freshmen Amile Jefferson and Alex Murphy will likely be counted on for more production, as will junior Josh Hairston.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)