Jan 10, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Last night, we wrote about Boise State’s impressive road win at previously-undefeated Wyoming.
Jeff Elorriaga his a buzzer-beating three to cap a thrilling final three minutes for the Broncos.
But what made the performance all the more impressive is that Boise State was able to do it while playing without four members of their rotation, including leading scorer Derrick Marks.
Marks, Mikey Thompson, Kenny Buckner and Darrious Hamilton — Buckner and Thompson are the top two players off the bench for Leon Rice — didn’t travel with the Broncos to Laramie. According to Brian Murphy of the Idaho Statesmen, they are suspended indefinitely. That could mean one game. That could mean ten games. We don’t really know right now.
“For me, heartbreaking. It was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make,’’ Rice said. “We have a young team and we’re building a program. So one game is not as important as the future of our program. We don’t compromise on not doing it right.’’
There are no easy games in this year’s Mountain West, and that certainly includes hosting New Mexico, which Boise State does on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how long those four are out; I’m not sure the Broncos have a shot at sustained success in this league without them.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)