Jan 10, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Last night, we wrote about Boise State’s impressive road win at previously-undefeated Wyoming.
Jeff Elorriaga his a buzzer-beating three to cap a thrilling final three minutes for the Broncos.
But what made the performance all the more impressive is that Boise State was able to do it while playing without four members of their rotation, including leading scorer Derrick Marks.
Marks, Mikey Thompson, Kenny Buckner and Darrious Hamilton — Buckner and Thompson are the top two players off the bench for Leon Rice — didn’t travel with the Broncos to Laramie. According to Brian Murphy of the Idaho Statesmen, they are suspended indefinitely. That could mean one game. That could mean ten games. We don’t really know right now.
“For me, heartbreaking. It was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make,’’ Rice said. “We have a young team and we’re building a program. So one game is not as important as the future of our program. We don’t compromise on not doing it right.’’
There are no easy games in this year’s Mountain West, and that certainly includes hosting New Mexico, which Boise State does on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how long those four are out; I’m not sure the Broncos have a shot at sustained success in this league without them.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)