Jan 10, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Last night, we wrote about Boise State’s impressive road win at previously-undefeated Wyoming.
Jeff Elorriaga his a buzzer-beating three to cap a thrilling final three minutes for the Broncos.
But what made the performance all the more impressive is that Boise State was able to do it while playing without four members of their rotation, including leading scorer Derrick Marks.
Marks, Mikey Thompson, Kenny Buckner and Darrious Hamilton — Buckner and Thompson are the top two players off the bench for Leon Rice — didn’t travel with the Broncos to Laramie. According to Brian Murphy of the Idaho Statesmen, they are suspended indefinitely. That could mean one game. That could mean ten games. We don’t really know right now.
“For me, heartbreaking. It was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make,’’ Rice said. “We have a young team and we’re building a program. So one game is not as important as the future of our program. We don’t compromise on not doing it right.’’
There are no easy games in this year’s Mountain West, and that certainly includes hosting New Mexico, which Boise State does on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how long those four are out; I’m not sure the Broncos have a shot at sustained success in this league without them.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)