Jan 10, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Last night, we wrote about Boise State’s impressive road win at previously-undefeated Wyoming.
Jeff Elorriaga his a buzzer-beating three to cap a thrilling final three minutes for the Broncos.
But what made the performance all the more impressive is that Boise State was able to do it while playing without four members of their rotation, including leading scorer Derrick Marks.
Marks, Mikey Thompson, Kenny Buckner and Darrious Hamilton — Buckner and Thompson are the top two players off the bench for Leon Rice — didn’t travel with the Broncos to Laramie. According to Brian Murphy of the Idaho Statesmen, they are suspended indefinitely. That could mean one game. That could mean ten games. We don’t really know right now.
“For me, heartbreaking. It was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make,’’ Rice said. “We have a young team and we’re building a program. So one game is not as important as the future of our program. We don’t compromise on not doing it right.’’
There are no easy games in this year’s Mountain West, and that certainly includes hosting New Mexico, which Boise State does on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how long those four are out; I’m not sure the Broncos have a shot at sustained success in this league without them.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 3
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)