Jan 10, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
No. 7 Syracuse visited Providence last night, beating the Friars 72-66 in a game that saw 23 points and 11 boards from CJ Fair, a homecoming of sorts for Michael Carter-Williams and the kind of en fuego shooting start from Bryce Cotton that would make Dan Patrick envious.
But that wasn’t the story of this game, not when Providence is more-or-less a national afterthought (again) and the Orange are in the midst of their farewell tour as a member of the Big East.
And not when every postgame press conference will provide Jim Boeheim a chance to answer questions about the last time he’s visiting a city he’s played league games in for the better part of four decades.
Case in point:
“We’ve been coming here for 34 years,” Boeheim told reporters about Syracuse playing at Providence. “That’s a lot of history. Every one of these games is a little bit of sadness for me. I know where all the good restaurants are now, and now I’ve got to go down to Clemson, S.C. I’m sure there’s a couple of Denny’s down there. They’ll like me a lot now in Clemson. I like to make friends before I get down there.”
That quote was provided by the Fayetteville Observer, who went ahead and helped out Boeheim with his Denny’s problem.
Well played, gentlemen.
And in case you were wondering, Jim Boeheim knows a thing or two about food:
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)