Jan 10, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
No. 7 Syracuse visited Providence last night, beating the Friars 72-66 in a game that saw 23 points and 11 boards from CJ Fair, a homecoming of sorts for Michael Carter-Williams and the kind of en fuego shooting start from Bryce Cotton that would make Dan Patrick envious.
But that wasn’t the story of this game, not when Providence is more-or-less a national afterthought (again) and the Orange are in the midst of their farewell tour as a member of the Big East.
And not when every postgame press conference will provide Jim Boeheim a chance to answer questions about the last time he’s visiting a city he’s played league games in for the better part of four decades.
Case in point:
“We’ve been coming here for 34 years,” Boeheim told reporters about Syracuse playing at Providence. “That’s a lot of history. Every one of these games is a little bit of sadness for me. I know where all the good restaurants are now, and now I’ve got to go down to Clemson, S.C. I’m sure there’s a couple of Denny’s down there. They’ll like me a lot now in Clemson. I like to make friends before I get down there.”
That quote was provided by the Fayetteville Observer, who went ahead and helped out Boeheim with his Denny’s problem.
Well played, gentlemen.
And in case you were wondering, Jim Boeheim knows a thing or two about food:
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 0
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)