Jan 10, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
No. 7 Syracuse visited Providence last night, beating the Friars 72-66 in a game that saw 23 points and 11 boards from CJ Fair, a homecoming of sorts for Michael Carter-Williams and the kind of en fuego shooting start from Bryce Cotton that would make Dan Patrick envious.
But that wasn’t the story of this game, not when Providence is more-or-less a national afterthought (again) and the Orange are in the midst of their farewell tour as a member of the Big East.
And not when every postgame press conference will provide Jim Boeheim a chance to answer questions about the last time he’s visiting a city he’s played league games in for the better part of four decades.
Case in point:
“We’ve been coming here for 34 years,” Boeheim told reporters about Syracuse playing at Providence. “That’s a lot of history. Every one of these games is a little bit of sadness for me. I know where all the good restaurants are now, and now I’ve got to go down to Clemson, S.C. I’m sure there’s a couple of Denny’s down there. They’ll like me a lot now in Clemson. I like to make friends before I get down there.”
That quote was provided by the Fayetteville Observer, who went ahead and helped out Boeheim with his Denny’s problem.
Well played, gentlemen.
And in case you were wondering, Jim Boeheim knows a thing or two about food:
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)