Jan 10, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
No. 7 Syracuse visited Providence last night, beating the Friars 72-66 in a game that saw 23 points and 11 boards from CJ Fair, a homecoming of sorts for Michael Carter-Williams and the kind of en fuego shooting start from Bryce Cotton that would make Dan Patrick envious.
But that wasn’t the story of this game, not when Providence is more-or-less a national afterthought (again) and the Orange are in the midst of their farewell tour as a member of the Big East.
And not when every postgame press conference will provide Jim Boeheim a chance to answer questions about the last time he’s visiting a city he’s played league games in for the better part of four decades.
Case in point:
“We’ve been coming here for 34 years,” Boeheim told reporters about Syracuse playing at Providence. “That’s a lot of history. Every one of these games is a little bit of sadness for me. I know where all the good restaurants are now, and now I’ve got to go down to Clemson, S.C. I’m sure there’s a couple of Denny’s down there. They’ll like me a lot now in Clemson. I like to make friends before I get down there.”
That quote was provided by the Fayetteville Observer, who went ahead and helped out Boeheim with his Denny’s problem.
Well played, gentlemen.
And in case you were wondering, Jim Boeheim knows a thing or two about food:
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)