Jan 10, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
No. 7 Syracuse visited Providence last night, beating the Friars 72-66 in a game that saw 23 points and 11 boards from CJ Fair, a homecoming of sorts for Michael Carter-Williams and the kind of en fuego shooting start from Bryce Cotton that would make Dan Patrick envious.
But that wasn’t the story of this game, not when Providence is more-or-less a national afterthought (again) and the Orange are in the midst of their farewell tour as a member of the Big East.
And not when every postgame press conference will provide Jim Boeheim a chance to answer questions about the last time he’s visiting a city he’s played league games in for the better part of four decades.
Case in point:
“We’ve been coming here for 34 years,” Boeheim told reporters about Syracuse playing at Providence. “That’s a lot of history. Every one of these games is a little bit of sadness for me. I know where all the good restaurants are now, and now I’ve got to go down to Clemson, S.C. I’m sure there’s a couple of Denny’s down there. They’ll like me a lot now in Clemson. I like to make friends before I get down there.”
That quote was provided by the Fayetteville Observer, who went ahead and helped out Boeheim with his Denny’s problem.
Well played, gentlemen.
And in case you were wondering, Jim Boeheim knows a thing or two about food:
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)