Jan 10, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Game of the Day: 11:00 p.m.: St. Mary’s at No. 10 Gonzaga (ESPN2)
The WCC will consistently be one of the nation’s best mid-major conferences, and it’s not just because Mark Few has turned Gonzaga into a national power. While the addition of BYU made this perennially a three-bid league, it’s the growth of the St. Mary’s program that has really turned the WCC into a two-horse race.
This season, unfortunately, that doesn’t look to be the case, as Gonzaga is slowly but surely making the statement that this is the best team Spokane has seen since — Adam Morrison? Matt Santangelo? John Stockton? Tighten up their defense, get those threes to start falling, and teach Kelly Olynyk how not to turn the ball over in the post, and we’re looking at a legitimate Final Four contender. The Gaels? As good as Matthew Dellavedova is, they simply do not have enough offensive firepower around him this year.
But with Stephen Holt healthy? In a rivalry game on national TV? Don’t count anyone out.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 7:00 p.m.: No. 4 Arizona at Oregon (ESPN2)
Arizona is one of three remaining unbeaten teams, but they’ve been a long way from dominating in those performances. And they have yet to truly be tested on the road, which should happen against an underrated Oregon team. Winning close games is a skill; Arizona isn’t simply lucky.* They’ll need that skill to be on display in Eugee tonight to beat an Oregon team that matches up with them fairly well.
* – Yes, the win over Colorado was lucky. Mark Lyons hitting his last 23 free throws in crunch time is skill.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 9:00 p.m.: Weber State at Southern Utah
Southern Utah is 3-1 in the Big Sky right now. Weber State and Montana are both undefeated in league play. Will SUU truly be a contender this season, or is their record simply a by-product of the schedule they’ve played? If it’s the former, they need to beat the Wildcats at home.
Five Things to Watch For
1) No. 22 Michigan State heads to Iowa to take on the 0-2 Hawkeyes, who had the misfortune of playing Michigan and Indiana in their first two league games. Iowa has some talent on their roster. Can they pull an upset at home? (7:00 p.m., ESPN2)
2) North Carolina is coming off of a loss at Virginia, who went out last night and lost at Wake Forest. The Heels really need to get a win to get their season back on the right track. They host Miami, who is without Reggie Johnson, tonight. (7:00 p.m., ESPN)
3) The Atlantic 10 is going to be one of those leagues that provides us with action every night, and Thursday is no different. Temple takes a trip to Cincinnati to play Xavier (7:00 p.m.) while UMass and St. Louis do battle later on (9:00 p.m., CBS Sports Net). The Billikens haven’t lost since Rick Majerus passed away, but they’ll have their hands full with Chaz Williams and company.
4) Northwestern State and Oral Roberts are two of the three undefeated teams left in the Southland. They’ll face off at 8:30 p.m. tonight.
5) The best thing about Thursday nights? Late-night Pac-12 and WCC games. Beyond what’s listed above: UCLA heads to an improved Utah team. Arizona State tests their 2-0 Pac-12 mark on the road against Oregon State. USC-Colorado. Pepperdine-BYU. Santa Clara-Anthony Ireland, I mean Loyola Marymount. I’m ready.
Other Notable Games
9:00 p.m.: Kentucky at Vanderbilt (ESPN)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:24 PM EDT
Stevie Clark, a four-star recruit, played only 16 games for the Cowboys.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT
Moustapha Diagne decided he would attend junior college back in August.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Seventh Woods removed one more team from consideration.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
Rico Gathers averaged a double-double last season.
Sep 4, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT
Washington sat out all of last season due to a lingering foot injury.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski will be taking a national title team to the Oval Office for the fifth time in his career.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
It was reported in late July that Felton was listening to other schools.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Devin Davis has since enrolled at Odessa JC in Texas.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Greenwood is the second former college basketball player to sign with an AFL franchise in the last week.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The Bulldogs are guaranteed games against five NCAA tournament teams and could play more based upon what happens in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
Virginia is trying to figure out the academic situation of Mamadi Diakite, who might enroll in 2015.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:51 PM EDT
This comes less than a month after AD Norwood Teague stepped down for his own alleged sexual misconduct.
Sep 3, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
Joe Struggs, who didn’t enroll until last month, has been dealing with issues with both of his shins.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
This year’s Terrapins will look to match what Dixon, Steve Blake and company accomplished just over 13 years ago.
Sep 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Jalen Johnson is one of the best in-game dunkers in the Class of 2016.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 released its full conference schedule. The league has 33 games on NBCSN this season.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Michigan State saw the newly-renovated practice facility when they arrived back from a trip to Italy.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Josh Jackson won back-to-back MVP awards at the Under Armour Elite 24.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
With two seniors in their current front court, adding a big man helps North Carolina moving forward.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Mullin threw out the first pitch at a Yankees game back in late-May.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five (2)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- Throwback Thursday: Juan Dixon and company win Maryland’s lone national title (2)
- Former Oklahoma State guard suing university, head coach Travis Ford (2)
- Colorado State finds difficulty scheduling good non-conference games (1)