Jan 10, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Game of the Day: 11:00 p.m.: St. Mary’s at No. 10 Gonzaga (ESPN2)
The WCC will consistently be one of the nation’s best mid-major conferences, and it’s not just because Mark Few has turned Gonzaga into a national power. While the addition of BYU made this perennially a three-bid league, it’s the growth of the St. Mary’s program that has really turned the WCC into a two-horse race.
This season, unfortunately, that doesn’t look to be the case, as Gonzaga is slowly but surely making the statement that this is the best team Spokane has seen since — Adam Morrison? Matt Santangelo? John Stockton? Tighten up their defense, get those threes to start falling, and teach Kelly Olynyk how not to turn the ball over in the post, and we’re looking at a legitimate Final Four contender. The Gaels? As good as Matthew Dellavedova is, they simply do not have enough offensive firepower around him this year.
But with Stephen Holt healthy? In a rivalry game on national TV? Don’t count anyone out.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 7:00 p.m.: No. 4 Arizona at Oregon (ESPN2)
Arizona is one of three remaining unbeaten teams, but they’ve been a long way from dominating in those performances. And they have yet to truly be tested on the road, which should happen against an underrated Oregon team. Winning close games is a skill; Arizona isn’t simply lucky.* They’ll need that skill to be on display in Eugee tonight to beat an Oregon team that matches up with them fairly well.
* – Yes, the win over Colorado was lucky. Mark Lyons hitting his last 23 free throws in crunch time is skill.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 9:00 p.m.: Weber State at Southern Utah
Southern Utah is 3-1 in the Big Sky right now. Weber State and Montana are both undefeated in league play. Will SUU truly be a contender this season, or is their record simply a by-product of the schedule they’ve played? If it’s the former, they need to beat the Wildcats at home.
Five Things to Watch For
1) No. 22 Michigan State heads to Iowa to take on the 0-2 Hawkeyes, who had the misfortune of playing Michigan and Indiana in their first two league games. Iowa has some talent on their roster. Can they pull an upset at home? (7:00 p.m., ESPN2)
2) North Carolina is coming off of a loss at Virginia, who went out last night and lost at Wake Forest. The Heels really need to get a win to get their season back on the right track. They host Miami, who is without Reggie Johnson, tonight. (7:00 p.m., ESPN)
3) The Atlantic 10 is going to be one of those leagues that provides us with action every night, and Thursday is no different. Temple takes a trip to Cincinnati to play Xavier (7:00 p.m.) while UMass and St. Louis do battle later on (9:00 p.m., CBS Sports Net). The Billikens haven’t lost since Rick Majerus passed away, but they’ll have their hands full with Chaz Williams and company.
4) Northwestern State and Oral Roberts are two of the three undefeated teams left in the Southland. They’ll face off at 8:30 p.m. tonight.
5) The best thing about Thursday nights? Late-night Pac-12 and WCC games. Beyond what’s listed above: UCLA heads to an improved Utah team. Arizona State tests their 2-0 Pac-12 mark on the road against Oregon State. USC-Colorado. Pepperdine-BYU. Santa Clara-Anthony Ireland, I mean Loyola Marymount. I’m ready.
Other Notable Games
9:00 p.m.: Kentucky at Vanderbilt (ESPN)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Jones recently received his qualifying score on the SAT, only to inform SDSU that he wanted to be released from his NLI.
Former Illinois women’s basketball players file lawsuit against athletic director, head coach and former assistant
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
AD Mike Thomas stated in May that there would be an investigation into the allegations.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
KD, Stephen and Russ lead the way, and two of those three weren’t even ranked coming out of high school.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Cal already has two members of its 2015 class on campus, and they added another to the mix Wednesday.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
He’s currently teammates with a soon-to-be Oregon Duck. Hmm …
Jul 1, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT
That makes three commitments in 24 hours for Cincinnati.
Jul 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Terrence Samuel was recruited over at UConn.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT
Kansas is in South Korea repping the USA in the World University Games.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino gave his take on the situation surrounding Jarvis Johnson.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Missouri is missing sophomore forward Montaque Gill-Caesar from summer workouts.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Virginia has some talented backcourt pieces committed in the 2016 class.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Kansas head coach Bill Self had the jumper going before practice in South Korea.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Cincinnati landed a big man target right before the July live period.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
Shaka Smart landed the brother of a recent NBA draft pick.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Should I mention he throws the ball off the backboard to himself?
Jun 30, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
One of the best passers in the Class of 2016, Howard Washington, committed to Butler on Tuesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Rick Barnes spoke publicly for the first time about accusations levied against Texas.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
A very weak class has some decent guards.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)