Jan 10, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Game of the Day: 11:00 p.m.: St. Mary’s at No. 10 Gonzaga (ESPN2)
The WCC will consistently be one of the nation’s best mid-major conferences, and it’s not just because Mark Few has turned Gonzaga into a national power. While the addition of BYU made this perennially a three-bid league, it’s the growth of the St. Mary’s program that has really turned the WCC into a two-horse race.
This season, unfortunately, that doesn’t look to be the case, as Gonzaga is slowly but surely making the statement that this is the best team Spokane has seen since — Adam Morrison? Matt Santangelo? John Stockton? Tighten up their defense, get those threes to start falling, and teach Kelly Olynyk how not to turn the ball over in the post, and we’re looking at a legitimate Final Four contender. The Gaels? As good as Matthew Dellavedova is, they simply do not have enough offensive firepower around him this year.
But with Stephen Holt healthy? In a rivalry game on national TV? Don’t count anyone out.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 7:00 p.m.: No. 4 Arizona at Oregon (ESPN2)
Arizona is one of three remaining unbeaten teams, but they’ve been a long way from dominating in those performances. And they have yet to truly be tested on the road, which should happen against an underrated Oregon team. Winning close games is a skill; Arizona isn’t simply lucky.* They’ll need that skill to be on display in Eugee tonight to beat an Oregon team that matches up with them fairly well.
* – Yes, the win over Colorado was lucky. Mark Lyons hitting his last 23 free throws in crunch time is skill.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 9:00 p.m.: Weber State at Southern Utah
Southern Utah is 3-1 in the Big Sky right now. Weber State and Montana are both undefeated in league play. Will SUU truly be a contender this season, or is their record simply a by-product of the schedule they’ve played? If it’s the former, they need to beat the Wildcats at home.
Five Things to Watch For
1) No. 22 Michigan State heads to Iowa to take on the 0-2 Hawkeyes, who had the misfortune of playing Michigan and Indiana in their first two league games. Iowa has some talent on their roster. Can they pull an upset at home? (7:00 p.m., ESPN2)
2) North Carolina is coming off of a loss at Virginia, who went out last night and lost at Wake Forest. The Heels really need to get a win to get their season back on the right track. They host Miami, who is without Reggie Johnson, tonight. (7:00 p.m., ESPN)
3) The Atlantic 10 is going to be one of those leagues that provides us with action every night, and Thursday is no different. Temple takes a trip to Cincinnati to play Xavier (7:00 p.m.) while UMass and St. Louis do battle later on (9:00 p.m., CBS Sports Net). The Billikens haven’t lost since Rick Majerus passed away, but they’ll have their hands full with Chaz Williams and company.
4) Northwestern State and Oral Roberts are two of the three undefeated teams left in the Southland. They’ll face off at 8:30 p.m. tonight.
5) The best thing about Thursday nights? Late-night Pac-12 and WCC games. Beyond what’s listed above: UCLA heads to an improved Utah team. Arizona State tests their 2-0 Pac-12 mark on the road against Oregon State. USC-Colorado. Pepperdine-BYU. Santa Clara-Anthony Ireland, I mean Loyola Marymount. I’m ready.
Other Notable Games
9:00 p.m.: Kentucky at Vanderbilt (ESPN)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
With Isaiah Briscoe moving on to the college ranks next summer, Duval could be the next elite guard produced by the Playaz Basketball Club.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Last year’s Hoops on the Haasephalt event attracted nearly 4,000 fans on the UAB campus.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Despite rumors to the contrary, one of the best players in the Class of 2015 is 100 percent committed to attending LSU next year.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
“The Grateful Red” snapped up every available ticket within five minutes Wednesday morning.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nittany Lions return five of their top six scorers from a team that finished the 2013-14 season with a 16-18 record (6-12 Big Ten).
Sep 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim is not one to bite his tongue around the media.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Is Oliver Purnell is tapping into a D.C. pipeline?
Sep 17, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Walker is currently suspended from the Texas team.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Lyle was originally committed to Louisville before backing off.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The rush for a good spot to wait for Big Blue Madness tickets is always entertaining.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)