Jan 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
One of my favorite things that ESPN rolls out during college basketball season is their Player of the Year straw poll, which is conducted by Michigan beat-writer Mike Rothstein.
Essentially, what he does is reach out to the hordes of media members he knows and gets them to submit their top three, in order.
Mason Plumlee, followed by Trey Burke and then Doug McDermott. Plumlee got 30 of the 53 first place votes, while Burke got 13 and McDermott 16. Cody Zeller (2), Russ Smith (1) and Jeff Withey (1) got the rest.
(My ballot: 1. Trey Burke, 2. Mason Plumlee, 3. Doug McDermott.)
Perhaps the most interesting nugget here? Kansas freshman Ben McLemore got just a single second place vote. That’s it. That not only put him behind his teammate Jeff Withey, it tied him with Santa Clara’s Kevin Foster (huh?) and North Carolina’s James Michael McAdoo (seriously?) in regards to the number of ballots they showed up on.
Now, keep in mind that these votes were cast prior to the dominating, 33 point performance he had last night.
I wonder how much the poll would change if the vote were done today?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)