Jan 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
If you are a Georgetown fan, please, stop reading this now.
Just turn off your laptop and put away your iPhone. Trust me on this. Because after watching your Hoyas struggle to score 50 points for what seems like the 10th consecutive game in a 73-45 loss at home to Pitt, you probably don’t want to know that a former Hoya is well on his way to winning the CAA Player of the Year award.
That would be Jerrelle Benimon.
After going for 26 points, 12 boards, seven blocks, three assists and three steals in a double-overtime win over William & Mary last night, Benimon is now averaging 17.1 points, 11.7 boards and 2.3 blocks. He’s got 10 double-doubles on the season now.
But more importantly, he’s put Towson back on the map. The Tigers won just a single game last year. Seriously. One win. They were the worst team in Division I basketball. And while their rise this year has to do with Pat Skerry’s crop of transfers and incoming freshmen, it’s still as big of an improvement as you will find this season. The Tigers are now 3-0 in the CAA and sitting in first place in the conference. They’ve won four straight games, the first time that has happened for the program since 2000. They went into Corvallis and knocked off Oregon State.
Much of that improvement can be placed on the shoulders of Benimon.
You have to wonder.
How much would Benimon’s scoring ability have helped the Big East’s ugliest offensive this season?
You know what? For the sake of the good folks on the Hilltop, don’t answer that.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)