Jan 11, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
As if Nebraska’s 62-47 loss at No. 2 Michigan on Wednesday night weren’t bad enough, head coach Tim Miles revealed today that the Cornhuskers also suffered a key personnel loss.
Miles announced that senior forward Brandon Ubel will miss Sunday’s game at No. 22 Michigan State with a fractured elbow that was suffered in the defeat. Ubel is Nebraska’s third-leading scorer and leading rebounder, as he’s currently averaging 12.1 points and 6.8 rebounds per game
Sunday’s contest is the Huskers’ third Big Ten road game against a ranked opponent this season (lost the opener at Ohio State). At 0-3 in conference play the last thing the Huskers can afford is the loss of a key contributor like Ubel.
Ubel played 37 minutes on Wednesday, tallying six points and ten rebounds, and if not for his efforts on the glass the 15-point margin would have been larger. Michigan out-rebounded Nebraska 47-30, scoring 19 second-chance points off of 16 offensive rebounds.
Without Ubel the Huskers will look to hold their own on the boards with Michigan State, a team that has rebounded nearly 37% of its missed shots this season.
Players such as center Andre Almeida, David Rivers and Shavon Shields become even more important members of the Nebraska rotation when it comes to rebounding as a result of Ubel’s injury. Ubel, according to Miles, is “highly doubtful” for Nebraska’s game against Purdue next Wednesday.
In addition to the injury news on Ubel, Miles also announced that guard Mike Peltz will miss the remainder of the season due to a knee injury. Peltz, who has been playing since the start of the season with a partially torn patellar tendon, will undergo surgery to repair the issue.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 7
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (8)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)