Jan 11, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
As if Nebraska’s 62-47 loss at No. 2 Michigan on Wednesday night weren’t bad enough, head coach Tim Miles revealed today that the Cornhuskers also suffered a key personnel loss.
Miles announced that senior forward Brandon Ubel will miss Sunday’s game at No. 22 Michigan State with a fractured elbow that was suffered in the defeat. Ubel is Nebraska’s third-leading scorer and leading rebounder, as he’s currently averaging 12.1 points and 6.8 rebounds per game
Sunday’s contest is the Huskers’ third Big Ten road game against a ranked opponent this season (lost the opener at Ohio State). At 0-3 in conference play the last thing the Huskers can afford is the loss of a key contributor like Ubel.
Ubel played 37 minutes on Wednesday, tallying six points and ten rebounds, and if not for his efforts on the glass the 15-point margin would have been larger. Michigan out-rebounded Nebraska 47-30, scoring 19 second-chance points off of 16 offensive rebounds.
Without Ubel the Huskers will look to hold their own on the boards with Michigan State, a team that has rebounded nearly 37% of its missed shots this season.
Players such as center Andre Almeida, David Rivers and Shavon Shields become even more important members of the Nebraska rotation when it comes to rebounding as a result of Ubel’s injury. Ubel, according to Miles, is “highly doubtful” for Nebraska’s game against Purdue next Wednesday.
In addition to the injury news on Ubel, Miles also announced that guard Mike Peltz will miss the remainder of the season due to a knee injury. Peltz, who has been playing since the start of the season with a partially torn patellar tendon, will undergo surgery to repair the issue.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)