Jan 11, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
As if Nebraska’s 62-47 loss at No. 2 Michigan on Wednesday night weren’t bad enough, head coach Tim Miles revealed today that the Cornhuskers also suffered a key personnel loss.
Miles announced that senior forward Brandon Ubel will miss Sunday’s game at No. 22 Michigan State with a fractured elbow that was suffered in the defeat. Ubel is Nebraska’s third-leading scorer and leading rebounder, as he’s currently averaging 12.1 points and 6.8 rebounds per game
Sunday’s contest is the Huskers’ third Big Ten road game against a ranked opponent this season (lost the opener at Ohio State). At 0-3 in conference play the last thing the Huskers can afford is the loss of a key contributor like Ubel.
Ubel played 37 minutes on Wednesday, tallying six points and ten rebounds, and if not for his efforts on the glass the 15-point margin would have been larger. Michigan out-rebounded Nebraska 47-30, scoring 19 second-chance points off of 16 offensive rebounds.
Without Ubel the Huskers will look to hold their own on the boards with Michigan State, a team that has rebounded nearly 37% of its missed shots this season.
Players such as center Andre Almeida, David Rivers and Shavon Shields become even more important members of the Nebraska rotation when it comes to rebounding as a result of Ubel’s injury. Ubel, according to Miles, is “highly doubtful” for Nebraska’s game against Purdue next Wednesday.
In addition to the injury news on Ubel, Miles also announced that guard Mike Peltz will miss the remainder of the season due to a knee injury. Peltz, who has been playing since the start of the season with a partially torn patellar tendon, will undergo surgery to repair the issue.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)