Jan 11, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
As Saint Joseph’s looks to avoid an 0-2 start in Atlantic 10 play this weekend, the Hawks will have to do so without a key contributor.
It was announced by the school that forward Halil Kanacevic will miss the “next few games” due to the passing of his maternal uncle. Kanacevic will travel with his parents to their native Montenegro for the funeral.
The junior, who began his college career at Hofstra, is averaging 7.1 points and 7.2 rebounds per game with the latter figure being second-best on the squad behind Ronald Roberts Jr.’s 8.2 rpg.
In regards to the starting lineup nothing will change from the Hawks’ 72-66 loss to No. 14 Butler earlier in the week, but Saint Joseph’s does need to account for what Kanacevic can provide off the bench. In the loss Kanacevic scored five points (0-of-7 FG) and grabbed seven rebounds.
Outside of Kanacevic’s 22 minutes of action Saint Joseph’s reserved played a total of seven minutes with forward Papa Ndao accounting for five of those minutes. With Kanacevic out the Hawks have to hope that forwards Roberts Jr. and C.J. Aiken both remain healthy and avoid foul trouble, because there aren’t many places for Phil Martelli to turn if either of those scenarios occur.
Saint Joseph’s (2-1 in games this season without Kanacevic) visits Duquesne on Saturday night and with the Dukes averaging more than 13 offensive rebounds per contest, Kanacevic’s absence could be an issue for a Saint Joseph’s team that has allowed opponents to rebound 35% of their missed shots on the season.
Following that contest is a game at VCU next Thursday.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)