Jan 11, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
As Saint Joseph’s looks to avoid an 0-2 start in Atlantic 10 play this weekend, the Hawks will have to do so without a key contributor.
It was announced by the school that forward Halil Kanacevic will miss the “next few games” due to the passing of his maternal uncle. Kanacevic will travel with his parents to their native Montenegro for the funeral.
The junior, who began his college career at Hofstra, is averaging 7.1 points and 7.2 rebounds per game with the latter figure being second-best on the squad behind Ronald Roberts Jr.’s 8.2 rpg.
In regards to the starting lineup nothing will change from the Hawks’ 72-66 loss to No. 14 Butler earlier in the week, but Saint Joseph’s does need to account for what Kanacevic can provide off the bench. In the loss Kanacevic scored five points (0-of-7 FG) and grabbed seven rebounds.
Outside of Kanacevic’s 22 minutes of action Saint Joseph’s reserved played a total of seven minutes with forward Papa Ndao accounting for five of those minutes. With Kanacevic out the Hawks have to hope that forwards Roberts Jr. and C.J. Aiken both remain healthy and avoid foul trouble, because there aren’t many places for Phil Martelli to turn if either of those scenarios occur.
Saint Joseph’s (2-1 in games this season without Kanacevic) visits Duquesne on Saturday night and with the Dukes averaging more than 13 offensive rebounds per contest, Kanacevic’s absence could be an issue for a Saint Joseph’s team that has allowed opponents to rebound 35% of their missed shots on the season.
Following that contest is a game at VCU next Thursday.
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)