Jan 11, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
As Saint Joseph’s looks to avoid an 0-2 start in Atlantic 10 play this weekend, the Hawks will have to do so without a key contributor.
It was announced by the school that forward Halil Kanacevic will miss the “next few games” due to the passing of his maternal uncle. Kanacevic will travel with his parents to their native Montenegro for the funeral.
The junior, who began his college career at Hofstra, is averaging 7.1 points and 7.2 rebounds per game with the latter figure being second-best on the squad behind Ronald Roberts Jr.’s 8.2 rpg.
In regards to the starting lineup nothing will change from the Hawks’ 72-66 loss to No. 14 Butler earlier in the week, but Saint Joseph’s does need to account for what Kanacevic can provide off the bench. In the loss Kanacevic scored five points (0-of-7 FG) and grabbed seven rebounds.
Outside of Kanacevic’s 22 minutes of action Saint Joseph’s reserved played a total of seven minutes with forward Papa Ndao accounting for five of those minutes. With Kanacevic out the Hawks have to hope that forwards Roberts Jr. and C.J. Aiken both remain healthy and avoid foul trouble, because there aren’t many places for Phil Martelli to turn if either of those scenarios occur.
Saint Joseph’s (2-1 in games this season without Kanacevic) visits Duquesne on Saturday night and with the Dukes averaging more than 13 offensive rebounds per contest, Kanacevic’s absence could be an issue for a Saint Joseph’s team that has allowed opponents to rebound 35% of their missed shots on the season.
Following that contest is a game at VCU next Thursday.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)