Jan 11, 2013, 11:43 PM EDT
By now, the college basketball world has seen Jamaal Franklin all but claim ‘Dunk of the Year’ crown nine days into the New Year, when he threw an alley oop to himself off the backboard.
The San Diego State junior threw the ball to himself on a 3-on-3 break in the second half of the Aztecs 65-62 win over Fresno State on Wednesday (reaction to the dunk).
Franklin completely overshadowed Brandon Paul’s posterization of Minnesota’s Trevor Mbakwe in Illinois’s win over the Gophers on the same night. The day before, Ohio State’s Sam Thompson dunked over a 7-footer, but that instantly became a distance memory.
Franklin even took down Victor Dukes, the Arkansas sophomore without a recruiting page on Rivals or ESPN, but has almost two million views on YouTube.
However, for some of Franklin’s Aztec teammates, it wasn’t that impressive.
“I’ve actually seen him do it better,” DeShawn Stephens told Mark Zeigler of the San Diego Union-Tribune on Thursday. “I’ve seen him catch it and dunk one-handed – crazy.”
Franklin went on to tell Zeigler how exactly he was able to pull of the current titleholder of the year’s best dunk:
“Just playing around,” he said. “I gradually figured out that it works because when you throw the ball, people think you’re throwing an alley oop to someone else. The natural reaction as a defender is to turn your head. But by the time you turn your head, the ball is already hitting off the backboard and I’m already in the air.
“The hardest part is getting the ball to the backboard, because you’re throwing the ball going so fast that you could throw it too hard. The dunk is the easy part.”
Franklin is averaging a double-double this year, 17.4 points and 10.5 rebounds per game leading the No. 16 Aztecs in both those categories. San Diego State has a tough Mountain West Conference game Saturday night against Colorado State. The Rams enter with an identical 13-2 record.
The game tips at 8 p.m. on the NBC Sports Network.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)