Jan 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Who’s Getting Upset?: Sat. 2:15 p.m.: No. 12 Illinois at Wisconsin (Big Ten Net)
This was a fairly easy pick for me to make for three reasons:
1. Wisconsin is so tough to beat in the Kohl Center. I don’t care if this is a down year for the Badgers. I don’t care if they have point guard issues or if they are still a year away from truly being a contender. None of that matters to me, because the Kohl Center doesn’t differentiate. It’s as good of a home environment as you will find in the Big Ten.
2. The Badgers are always going to be the kind of team that is tough to get into a rhythm against because they are so good at controlling the pace and so good at frustrating you defensively. They don’t force a ton of turnovers, but they box out, they are disciplined and they challenge jump shots.
3. Illinois is a three-point shooting team. Wisconsin uses Sterling basketballs. They are the only major conference program to use that brand. Shooters are very particular about the kind of basketball they like. That’s a factor that cannot be ignored.
Who else is on upset alert?:
- Fri. 8:05 p.m.: No. 13 Creighton at Missouri State (ESPN3): I know this sounds weird. The No. 13 team in the country on upset alert against a team that had exactly zero Division I wins in non-conference play? Well, Missouri State has won three out of four since league play started. The Bluejays better come to play.
- Sat. 11:00 a.m.: No. 19 Georgetown at St. John’s (ESPN2): Would this even count as an upset? This is as intriguing of a game as any on the schedule this weekend. Can the Hoyas ever solve their scoring issues? Given their level of confidence right now, my men’s league team — Webb Construction, the Wisconsin Badgers of the Northern Virginia suburbs — might be able to beat them.
- Sat. 3:00 p.m.: Oklahoma State at Oklahoma (ESPN2): Oklahoma has been one of the more disappointing teams in the country for me this year. I thought the Sooners had a chance to make some noise in the Big 12 this year. They have a good front line and some scorers in the back court. The Pokes are such a tough matchup, however, because Markel Brown, Marcus Smart and LeBryan Nash are all big, physical scoring threats on the perimeter.
- Sat. 4:00 p.m.: No. 11 Florida at LSU (ESPNU): LSU isn’t great, but they are probably better than you think. Florida’s beat up right now — Will Yegeute and Erik Murphy have nagging injuries — and on the road. That’s never a good sign.
- Sat. 8:00 p.m.: No. 21 Cincinnati at Rutgers (ESPN3): Has Cincinnati figured out their issues yet? Going on the road after losing three of four at home isn’t always the easiest thing to do.
- Sat. 8:00 p.m.: No. 10 Missouri at Ole Miss (ESPN3): Marshall Henderson actually said this: “I never lose confidence. I could go 0-for-25 and it’s still going up.” That’s amazing. Missouri, who will be without Laurence Bowers for this game, better not let him get hot. Ole Miss only gets so many chances at big wins in league play. This would be huge for their bubble hopes.
- Sun. 4:35 p.m.: No. 23 Wichita State at Evansville (ESPN3): I have the utmost respect for what Gregg Marshall has done, but eventually someone is going to catchup with those injuries.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)