Jan 12, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Georgetown forward Greg Whittington will not suit up for the Hoyas Saturday against St. John’s after violating team rules, Liz Clarke of the Washington Post is reporting.
Through 13 games, Whittington has been averaging 12.1 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. His absence will not help the already struggling Georgetown offense, which mustered just 45 points in a loss to Pittsburgh on Tuesday.
Without him, more of the burden offensively will be placed on sophomore Otto Porter, the team’s leading scorer with 12.8 points per game, and junior Markel Starks, who is averaging 11.2 points per game.
The Hoyas face a St. John’s team Saturday that leads the nation in blocks as a team and also features freshman Chris Obekpa, who is tied for the nation’s lead in blocks per game (5.1).
Georgetown tips off at Madison Square Garden at 11 a.m. ET.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)