Jan 12, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Georgetown forward Greg Whittington will not suit up for the Hoyas Saturday against St. John’s after violating team rules, Liz Clarke of the Washington Post is reporting.
Through 13 games, Whittington has been averaging 12.1 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. His absence will not help the already struggling Georgetown offense, which mustered just 45 points in a loss to Pittsburgh on Tuesday.
Without him, more of the burden offensively will be placed on sophomore Otto Porter, the team’s leading scorer with 12.8 points per game, and junior Markel Starks, who is averaging 11.2 points per game.
The Hoyas face a St. John’s team Saturday that leads the nation in blocks as a team and also features freshman Chris Obekpa, who is tied for the nation’s lead in blocks per game (5.1).
Georgetown tips off at Madison Square Garden at 11 a.m. ET.
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)