Jan 12, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Game of the Day
No. 20 NC State 84, No. 1 Duke 76: So, if you were waiting for an answer to the question “how do you beat Duke?”, the answer is “wait for guys to get hurt.” OK, that’s not fair, but Duke did suffer a bit without Ryan Kelly, and when Seth Curry went down near the end of the game, any comeback hope was snuffed out. C.J. Leslie scored 25, Lorenzo Brown had 13 assists and Scott Wood was impeccable from deep. But the real story was Richard Howell’s 16/18 double double inside against Mason Plumlee. Howell is the kind of junkyard dog any title contender needs.
No. 5 Indiana 88, No. 8 Minnesota 81: If this were the Billboard charts, Minnesota would have been “No. 8 with a bullet,” coming into this game. The bullet signifies a fast-rising single. In this case, it was the Gophers who were on an eleven-game win streak coming in. The Hoosiers faded badly down the stretch, staking the Gophers to a 19-7 second half run, but survived on the strength of Victor Oladipo’s 20 points and Yogi Farrel’s 8 assists.
No. 18 Kansas State 65, West Virginia 64: West Virginia may not be “all that” this season, but for K-State to head to Morgantown, play a tight game against Bob Huggins’ team and come away with a one-point win is a serious gut-check. With Oklahoma busting Oklahoma State’s chops 77-68 today, and Kansas showing some vulnerability in Allen Fieldhouse recently, every Big 12 win carries a lot of meaning. This was a big one for the Wildcats, who were paced by 17 points apiece from Rodney McGruder and Shane Southwell.
UConn 65, No. 17 Notre Dame 58: Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright are the heart of this year’s team of Huskies, but they needed a little help from forward Tyler Olander to upset the Irish. Olander had 16 points and hauled down 7 boards against a team that plays rough on the interior. Kevin Ollie continues to show why Connecticut’s AD favored him with a new contract in spite of limited head coaching experience. His kids play hard and don’t give up.
Games of the Night
6:00 Temple at St. Louis, ESPNU
8:00 No. 4 Arizona at Oregon State, ESPNU
8:00 Missouri at Ole Miss
8:00 Colorado State at No. 16 San Diego State, NBC Sports
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)